Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th June 2009, 09:13 PM
Waynehead69 Offline

Vmware Workstation

I am running F11, I have just installed vmware workstation. It was the rpm 32 bit version, it doesn't show up in the start up applications menu. My question is how do I get a desktop icon and how do I run it. Thanks.
Old 20th June 2009, 09:22 PM
PilotJLR Offline

A couple of things... you need to run (as root) vmware-config.pl, which will setup icons and networking and other things like that.

This script will fail on Fedora 11, since the kernel is newer than is supported with Workstation. The patch and fix are described here:

http://communities.vmware.com//thread/203231
Old 20th June 2009, 09:52 PM
Waynehead69 Offline

Smile

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
Old 20th June 2009, 10:12 PM
Brian1 Offline

You also need to have your kernels source installed. On the install cd there is an kernel-devel-******.rpm that matches the kernel you are running. Unless you did and upgrade then you need to get it through the upgrade site.

Brian
Old 21st June 2009, 03:53 AM
Waynehead69 Offline

Well if you got to choose between a Corvette and a Saturn, which one would you take?
Old 21st June 2009, 02:28 PM
alukin Offline

VirtualBox is nice thing to try

Well, VmWare is quite good but commercial. For simple tasks like running WinXP to cleanup heads of your InkJet printer , I use VirtualBox. It is free. It is in repository or you can download it directly from virtualbox.org site. It is lightweight. I switched to it last year from VmWare and I am quite satisfied.
Old 21st June 2009, 02:36 PM
psyklops Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by alukin View Post
Well, VmWare is quite good but commercial. For simple tasks like running WinXP to cleanup heads of your InkJet printer , I use VirtualBox. It is free. It is in repository or you can download it directly from virtualbox.org site. It is lightweight. I switched to it last year from VmWare and I am quite satisfied.
I'll second that. I've been very impressed with VirtualBox. I've only really started using it over the weekend, and it works very well for what I need to do. It supports PulseAudio (as opposed to OSS with VMware Workstation), it has support for more variety of virtual hardware, the "virtual" SATA controller is very fast, the seamless mode works quite well and I especially like the way it handles USB devices (non VirtualBox-OSE version).

Even if VMware fixes their issues with Workstation, I'll probably stay with VirtualBox.... I can't yet think of anything I can't do with it that I could with VMware...

Tags
vmware, workstation