Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:12 PM
pow216 Offline

Adding Software Manually AND Using YUM

Hello,

I would like to know if it's OK to add software manually, by downloading the source code and the usual ./configure, make, make install as well as using YUM to download and update packages. Will this cause any problems?

Will yum know about this extra software? I guess not. So it will be up to me to update any manually installed software seperately?

I want to install transmission-daemon and the clutch web interface as I am using Fedora 10 x64 on a NAS box. The problem is the build of transmission that yum downloads does not include transmission-daemon! Clutch does not seem to be there either.
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:48 PM
stevea Offline

You can certainly download and build all the sources you like - it's part of the joy of Linux.
Yum keeps track of the packages and the files w/in those packages. So as a rule it's a bad idea to install a package by yum and then overwrite the same files by, for example, installing the same package from source. OTOH even that sort of mistake usually works since yum seems to sense that the file has been modified and doesn't replace it with updates (yum insteal renames th eupdate files with a .rpmnew suffix). For any particular package, use yum ,or upstream source, not both.
Old 22nd June 2009, 07:21 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Always best IMHO to get RPMs if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow216 View Post
The problem is the build of transmission that yum downloads does not include transmission-daemon!
That's not what I see: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i386.rpm.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow216 View Post
Clutch does not seem to be there either.
Indeed it does not. You can also try checkinstall to make a homemade RPM, which YUM/RPM can then manage.

V

Tags
adding, manually, software, yum