Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:43 PM
MauserM98 Offline

Opera saved my day.

Hi!

The new fc11 is for me an incredible upgrade only one thing do annoy me beyond anything else and that is the completely unstable Firefox 3.5 b4.
What saved my day was Opera 9.64. It do really work and I am again able to browse all day long without those darn bugs.
But as fast as a better Firefox version is out then bye bye Opera again.

Opera is avaible here : http//www.opera.no
Old 24th June 2009, 12:21 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Opera 10 beta is actually pretty good. The alpha had some issues, but the beta has been quite stable for me.

Unlike firefox, though I don't know if they fixed this, it doesn't install, without my permission, 66 unwanted language packs.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 24th June 2009, 01:08 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Scott, do you have Java, Flash and Shockwave working with Opera? Do most of the video sites work without having to jump through hoops? Are the fonts clear and easily readable? These are a few of the issues that have kept me from trying Opera for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm not knocking Opera, I have just been somewhat less than impressed with it in general.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 24th June 2009, 02:47 AM
scottro Offline

Of course. Yes. Better than Firefox.

I was answering your questions in order.

Seriously--if one installs Fedora's java, it's straightforward, opera knows where to look. Flash, I used Leigh's rpms, and then did have to direct opera to look in the lib64, rather than the lib, directory.

On occasions, much rarer with the better, I will have to refresh a youtube page to play videos.

I do find opera's fonts to be as good, and sometimes better, than Firefox, but of course, that could just be opinion or what I'm used to seeing.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 24th June 2009, 03:10 AM
bradchaus Offline

firefox in F11 (even during preview) has been as stable as can be for me ... how come I have had a terific experience with firefox 3.5 beta 4 and yet some others are having probs? beats me

Linux Rules
Old 24th June 2009, 03:27 AM
scottro Offline

Yes, it hasn't given me problems. I prefer opera though, mostly, I think, for personal reasons--little things that I prefer in opera, such as their wand for saved passwords, the interface--nothing that would kill me if it dropped out of existence, but just things I like.

I have noticed that, like F11 itself, the opinions about FF 3.5 seem mixed, some loving it, some hating. I guess it might be hardware and/or other applications that affect it in one way or another.

Old 24th June 2009, 03:44 AM
loomsen Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Scott, do you have Java, <Flash | Shockwave >

Jup, ever since

Quote:
Do most of the video sites work without having to jump through hoops?
barely using any videosite, however, the 64bit flashplugin works well for me. Nevertheless I'm using a flashblocker script, along with AdSweep you get the best pure browsing experience available.
Quote:
Are the fonts clear and easily readable?
This is a setting which I agree should be disabled by default. Opera is configured to use X Core fonts. Uncheck, restart opera and you have nice smooth fonts (this seems to be fixed in 10 however)

Opera is and has ever been the leader in major innovations, tabbed browsing, mousegestures, speed dial, sidebar... Hardly any browser could live without any of these features in the meanwhile.

However, FF is as outdated as win 3.1

Opera unite will push the level one step higher yet again
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...15#post1231715
Old 24th June 2009, 08:06 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

I'm happy with Firefox too. I haven't had any trouble with it in Fedora 11, with the exception of some choppy video but I think that it's the plugin and not FF. Got the same behavior with Opera.

Scott, Java and Flash worked "out of the box". Flash videos worked on sites like YouTube, Break and LiveLeak. I've always found font selection frustrating. Seems that no matter what I do I can't get them set to a size that I'm comfortable with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 24th June 2009, 12:03 PM
loomsen Offline

Quote:
I've always found font selection frustrating. Seems that no matter what I do I can't get them set to a size that I'm comfortable with.
Did you read what I posted above?

opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableCoreXFonts

copy n paste into your adressbar and check if enabled. If so, disable it and restart opera
Old 24th June 2009, 01:04 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

I saw what you posted. It didn't sink in but now I've given that a shot and there seems to be some improvement. I chose a different font and changed the minimum size. CTRL/+ and CTRL/- changes what, the font sze or the page size?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25th June 2009, 02:17 AM
loomsen Offline

Ctrl +/- changes the zoom factor...

Are you sure you have the fonts installed on your system which are specified in operas settings? You may define fonts for font families.
Check out Tools -> Pref -> Advanced -> fonts and change the font families to fit your needs. The bitstream family for instance works well with opera, so does dejavu.
yum install these:
Code:
bitstream-vera-fonts-common.noarch bitstream-vera-fonts-compat.noarch bitstream-vera-sans-fonts.noarch bitstream-vera-sans-mono-fonts.noarch bitstream-vera-serif-fonts.noarch dejavu-fonts-common.noarch dejavu-lgc-sans-fonts.noarch dejavu-lgc-sans-mono-fonts.noarch dejavu-lgc-serif-fonts.noarch dejavu-sans-fonts.noarch dejavu-sans-mono-fonts.noarch dejavu-serif-fonts.noarch
Old 25th June 2009, 08:54 AM
wvn Offline

Smile

Quote:
Scott, do you have Java, Flash and Shockwave working with Opera? Do most of the video sites work without having to jump through hoops? Are the fonts clear and easily readable? These are a few of the issues that have kept me from trying Opera for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm not knocking Opera, I have just been somewhat less than impressed with it in general.
Of course. Best think is to install opera, run it once and then install flash from dnmouse's script. At next opera start up it will take it from there. I am using opera since around version 8 when i had to pay for it. Best browser out there. But there is a catch. The links below will help any opera user to optimize the performance, since opera has some serious memory issues with plugins that are loaded as default.

http://operawiki.info/OperaPerformance

In summary make sure you do the following:

1. Tools->preferences->advanced->browsing
and change the "loading" option to "redraw instanlty". At the same panel DISABLE smooth scrolling(works ok under windows but buggy in Linux)

2. Tools->preferences->advanced->history
and change memory cache to an qual value with the Disk cache setting

3. Tools->preferences->advanced->network
and change "max total connections" to a value of +64

4.Type "about:config" on the address bar, find "turbo mode" and disable it.

Also, very few opera skins behave under linux. Go with " classy_simple 1.05" skin and with no special effects.

Last edited by wvn; 25th June 2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 26th June 2009, 08:18 PM
loomsen Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvn View Post
4.Type "about:config" on the address bar, find "turbo mode" and disable it.
This has been fixed with build 1449 (and turbo is a beta feature anyway)
However, Opera Turbo won't recheck if a fast connection is detected now
Old 26th June 2009, 08:46 PM
stefan1975 Offline
"Stefan the converted" -- forum Macintosh® Glee Club leader

i have always been an opera fan but for some reason never could use it as my default browser (xmarks and addblock+ being among the main concerns) but ever since opera10 beta I am completely convinced. All my pc's windows and linux alike are now running opera and i think it is the one browser where the linux version is not inferior. I do prefer chrome's cleanliness but customizing opera and removing lots of bars makes it tiny enough apart from the titlebar.

opera10b is also really fast, i really don't like all that stuff that they are throwing in (unity, torrent, mail, turbo) myself but the good part of it is that you don't *have* to use it and even with all these features it is still smaller in size and lightweight while running then FF or IE. the turbo thingy is actually slowing down browsing a lot for me, even when set on auto and being a sysadmin i have *big* worries about people using unity in the workplace. opera link is great though, even my search history and entered URL's are synced. and the customizable speeddial screen is awesome.

just get a decent urlfilter.ini and you are home free.

in opera9 i had lots of font troubles that made me switch back to FF but in O10b i actually am finding fonts much improved and better then in FF. It is just a little consistent between fixed size fonts (menu items, etc) and the rest but i can really live with that, besides not having 70 addons by default is also a big plus.

and this biggest plus of all......today's O10 build *finally* had QT4 x64 builds available .... JAY!

stefan
Browser: Opera 10.10, Safari 4
Registered linux user #459910
Old 27th June 2009, 12:00 AM
loomsen Offline

Quote:
JAY!

Yeehaaw.

8)

Tags
day, opera, saved