Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th June 2009, 06:19 AM
GoinEasy9 Offline

kmod to akmod -question

I have two kernels in my new fedora 11 install:
kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586
kernel-2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i586
The 2.6.29.4-167 kernel has the nvidia driver installed using kmod-nvidia. Since I'm new to fedora I just used the method I came upon in the how-to before realizing the advantages of akmod-nvidia. What I would like to do is remove the kmod-nvidia module and install the akmod-nvidia module before I install the nvidia drivers to the new kernel.
Is it as easy as rpm -e kmod-nvidia and rpm -i akmod-nvidia? Or am I missing some steps?
Coming from Debian, I'm still trying to get used to rpm and Fedora's modules and meta-packages, so, if someone could give me a hand, I'd appreciate it.
My first nvidia driver install gave me the i586 kernel, since I wasn't aware of the PAE kernel and the need for separate drivers. I want to avoid surprises this time. I removed the PAE kernels since I have no need for them, and am just using the i586 kernels now.
After installing akmod-nvidia, do I have to reinstall xorg-x11-drivers for that kernel, or are the ones there for the older kernel the correct ones? Should I be removing more of the old driver files?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE
Old 26th June 2009, 07:10 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Note that the kmod-nvidia packages provide only the kernel driver module for any one specific kernel. Based on what you've described: you need do nothing more than install the akmod-nvidia package. There may be an advantage to first removing the kmod-nvidia, since it's absense will prevent any further auto-updates of new kmod-nvidia packages, which you simply won't need with the auto-builder (hence the name: akmod-*). Note that akmod-nvidia requires the kernel-devel packages(s) to match your kernel(s), plus latest kernel-headers, plus compiler(s) and such (these should be dragged along automatically by YUM as dependencies when you install akmod-*). Cost is HDD space. In no case do you want or need to remove the base driver package(s). The following should get you what you want:
yum remove kmod-nvidia
yum install akmod-nvidia

Do not interrupt nor split these operations: removing the kmod-nvidia package will erase your only existing kernel driver module from disk, but it will still exist, loaded in RAM into the running kernel, until a re-boot/power failure. Make sense? Upon re-boot, akmod-nvidia will build whatever kmod is needed, automatically. Theoretically. YMMV.

V

Last edited by Hlingler; 26th June 2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 26th June 2009, 04:00 PM
GoinEasy9 Offline

@Hlingler
Thank You.
This is just the info I was looking for. Am getting used to fedora now and really liking it. Now, when a new kernel comes in, akmod will install the nvidia drivers and I'll be a happy camper. :-)
Old 26th June 2009, 05:38 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Now, when a new kernel comes in, akmod will install the nvidia drivers...
For posterity and clarity: no, the actual driver itself (package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia) is not affected by kmod/akmod method. Package kmod-nvidia-* provides a pre-compiled kernel driver module (kmod) for one kernel. Package akmod-nvidia-* automatically builds and installs a required kmod (if one does not already exist) on-the-spot and on-demand. The result should indeed be many happy(ier) campers. We hope.

V
Old 26th June 2009, 06:21 PM
GoinEasy9 Offline

Thanks again Hlingler,
Understood...I'll get the hang of this yet..LOL..
Old 26th June 2009, 10:52 PM
GCFreak Offline

Make sure kernel-devel is also installed, because in some of the akmod-nvidia packages it isn'listed as a dependency.
AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.7GHz | 2GB DDR2-800 | ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe | 2x Albatron GeForce 8500 GT 256MB | Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 | Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 | 510W Power Supply | Fedora 11 and Windows XP SP3
Server
2x Intel Xeon Dual-Core 2.4GHz | 2GB DDR-266 ECC | Dell PowerEdge 1600SC | ATI Rage XL IGP 16MB | Dell PERC 3/SC SCSI RAID Controller | SATA RAID Controller | Redundant Power Supplies | CentOS 5.3
Old 26th June 2009, 11:23 PM
GoinEasy9 Offline

@GCFreak
thanks for the hint...won't be home till Sunday night with my Fedora box to actually try out the akmod install...I'll check for kernel-devel first.

Tags
akmod, kmod, question