Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th June 2009, 04:43 AM
pedora Offline

fdisk issue

I change to root (su or sudo) and type:

# fdisk -l
bash: fdisk: command not found

What am I doing wrong? This is a Fedora thing? I don't have this issue in other distros.

I am searching the forums before/after I post this, trying to figure it out but...

If anyone can help explain what's going on, that would be great.

I don't know why I can't run this command.

I want to mount a hard drive in an enclosure that is connected via usb. Can I mount it automatically by editing fstab? But, right now, I would like to know how to do it manually. I believe I have before but now have this issue ('don't remember the solution).
Old 28th June 2009, 04:47 AM
sdlor Offline

It's hard to tell with the font in this forum...That is a lower case L, correct?...On my monitor, it looks like an upper case i..
Old 28th June 2009, 05:18 AM
mohaas05 Offline

You can only run fdisk as a superuser.

So either

su -c 'fdisk -l'

or

sudo fdisk -l
Old 28th June 2009, 07:12 AM
bodhi.zazen Offline

If you are running that command and you are gettign command not found, my guess is your path dows not include /sbin

as root

Code:
echo $PATH
did you change root's path in root's .bashrc or .profile ?
Old 28th June 2009, 09:51 PM
sidebrnz Offline

If you're using sudo, try this:

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

If you're using su, do the same, but leave off "sudo." Or, try this:

su -
(root password)
fdisk -l

That's because sudo lets you run one command that requires root access while keeping you in your own environment, and su changes your useerID to that of root (0) while changing nothing else, and /sbin probably isn't in your PATH, as commented above. "su -" logs you in as root, so that you not only have root's userID, you have the full root environment, including /sbin in your PATH. (It also changes your directory to /root, which can be a tad inconvenient at times.)
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 28th June 2009, 11:25 PM
pedora Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebrnz View Post
If you're using sudo, try this:

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

If you're using su, do the same, but leave off "sudo." Or, try this:

su -
(root password)
fdisk -l

That's because sudo lets you run one command that requires root access while keeping you in your own environment, and su changes your useerID to that of root (0) while changing nothing else, and /sbin probably isn't in your PATH, as commented above. "su -" logs you in as root, so that you not only have root's userID, you have the full root environment, including /sbin in your PATH. (It also changes your directory to /root, which can be a tad inconvenient at times.)
The last example is what I did and so I got the info, thanks! I found the explanation on another forum site but it is still confusing. THANKS for explaining it! I appreciate that and the rest of the responses. I still need to try and digest the concept, though. The 'path' requirement confuses me.

Is Fedora the only one to require this method?

It's still okay, I just didn't realize it.

I don't have to enter the path if you login to root using "su -"

What I read in the forum:
“That will get you root's environment which has /sbin in the path. Or, doing it the way you did you can type /sbin/fdisk.”

What I read in various places:

“The sbin path must be in the PATH environment

add :/sbin: to your $PATH var

To append /sbin to the end of your current path use:

export PATH=`echo $PATH`:/sbin

or

export PATH=$PATH:/sbin”

Any simplified way to explain?
Old 29th June 2009, 01:11 AM
sidebrnz Offline

Yes. Any Linux distro will look in certain directories for programs that you try to run. (This is also true for Unix, MS-DOS and Windows, BTW.) The directories are the ones in the environment variable known as PATH. DOS/Windows will always look in the current directory first, then in your path; Linux and Unix don't. /sbin has programs in it that are either used very early in the boot process, before the rest of the file system is mounted (and thus has to be on the same partition as /) or aren't normally used by regular users. It's not one of the directories on the default path for a user, but it is in root's path because root sometimes needs them.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 29th June 2009, 01:30 AM
pedora Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebrnz View Post
Yes. Any Linux distro will look in certain directories for programs that you try to run. (This is also true for Unix, MS-DOS and Windows, BTW.) The directories are the ones in the environment variable known as PATH. DOS/Windows will always look in the current directory first, then in your path; Linux and Unix don't. /sbin has programs in it that are either used very early in the boot process, before the rest of the file system is mounted (and thus has to be on the same partition as /) or aren't normally used by regular users. It's not one of the directories on the default path for a user, but it is in root's path because root sometimes needs them.
Cool! Thanks for the info! I really need to learn more. I think that is one of the things limiting me but I really like Fedora even if some of the differences confuse me. I don't hardly use Windows anymore, I usually just switch been Fedora and a Debian-based distro (usually K/Ubuntu and sidux).
Old 29th June 2009, 03:25 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

I have a page on this at http://home.roadrunner.com/~computer...su/rhpath.html

However, as of F10, this should no longer be an issue (though if you upgraded from an earlier version, the path may have never been updated.)

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon

Tags
fdisk