Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:23 PM
turbowei Offline

Question How do I debug a sound problem on thinkpad t61?

Hi. I had just installed FC11 on my T61, everything else works perfectly, but I have no sound whatsoever. I installed pulseaudio, no use, The sound doesn't work in neither the flash in Firefox, nor the rythmbox application.

It used to work when I had ubuntu installed on it.

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:51 PM
turbowei Offline

Some more information,

[wei@firefly ~]$ lsmod | grep intel
snd_hda_intel 23920 2
snd_hda_codec 54264 2 snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm 62556 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd 49044 10 snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,s nd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc 7572 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

So the module is clearly there....

[wei@firefly ~]$ more /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfe020000 irq 17

And this

[wei@firefly ~]$ lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

hmm, the device seems to be loaded very well...

Last edited by turbowei; 2nd July 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 3rd July 2009, 09:03 PM
Robert2 Offline

make sure your audio is not muted, or the volume is too low. ThinkPads have 2 levels of volume control, a HW volume, controlled by the buttons above the keyboard, and a software volume. If one of them is set wrong you will either get no sound, or very low volume.

Another thing is that F11 has switched the software volume applet to a new version that tries to automatically manage volumes, but sometimes this does not work properly, so you might want to try going to a cmd line and running the alsamixer and make sure volumes like Master and PCM are set high enough.
Old 4th July 2009, 12:15 AM
turbowei Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2 View Post
make sure your audio is not muted, or the volume is too low. ThinkPads have 2 levels of volume control, a HW volume, controlled by the buttons above the keyboard, and a software volume. If one of them is set wrong you will either get no sound, or very low volume.

Another thing is that F11 has switched the software volume applet to a new version that tries to automatically manage volumes, but sometimes this does not work properly, so you might want to try going to a cmd line and running the alsamixer and make sure volumes like Master and PCM are set high enough.
I ran alsamixer, but I get this:

[root@firefly ~]# alsamixer
ALSA lib pulse.c:272pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused
[root@firefly ~]#

I checked google, and disabled SELinux. (It was enabled when I installed it from LiveCD.) but it still didn't work.
Old 4th July 2009, 01:13 AM
turbowei Offline

alsamixer -c0 showed me far more options and I get to choose to unmute some options, that solves it.
Old 9th July 2009, 06:50 PM
jamalex2000 Offline

i tryed everything and still doesn't work
Old 9th July 2009, 07:15 PM
R3353 Offline

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...problems+sound

This FC10 guide worked for me in FC11 when I had the same problem; that is, my audio was non-existent rather than choppy.

Thinkpad T60 / Intel Corporation 82801G
Old 10th July 2009, 05:39 PM
R3353 Offline

complete FC11 guide: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=225660

Tags
sound, thinkpad