Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2009, 01:41 PM
beaker_ Offline

search path (windows term, sorry)

I've setup dimdim (opensource, centos 5.3) and noticed yum & rpm commands fail when executed as root because it uses librpmio from openoffice3 instead of /usr/lib (I'm running from memory so I may have misstyped). But sudo doesn't have this problem.

How can root's search path be different, especially after I state /usr & /usr/lib at the top of /etc/ld.so.conf.

I appologies if you discover a typo, I've just walked away from it and running off memory.
Old 15th July 2009, 02:47 PM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

They're quite different things: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/* is application specific, while any user's path depends from its environment, just like windoze (I mean the other way round, of course). To examine a user's $PATH issue
Code:
echo $PATH
If you compare root's $PATH to that of a "normal" user on Unix, you'll usually notice a few differences...
Old 15th July 2009, 03:28 PM
beaker_ Offline

Ok, after some reading & googling I think I see my error. After confirming my suspicion with echo $PATH, I need to remove my /usr & /usr/lib entries. Then check out /root/.bash_profile and /etc/profile.d.

thanks

Tags
path, search, term, windows