Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 22nd July 2009, 04:24 AM
HawkBoy Offline

Solution: Problems when booting Fedora 11 with windows's boot loader (NTLDR)

Hi All,

I had a bit of a problem, which I solved. Thought I'd share the solution.

I apologize if this is in the other thread (I couldn't really read through the whole thing, but it did give me some ideas). I figure this thread can hopefully be a bit easier to find for people having this particular variation.

Anyways...

Symptoms
=========
Fresh install of F11 on dual-boot machine with previous windows installation that *uses windows' boot loader (ntldr)* to start the boot.
After reboot, the machine cannot boot fedora since no bootable partition is found.

Cause
=====
It seems that fedora 11's default partition layout is different than that of fedora 10: It installs the boot partition on the N + 1th driver (instead of the Nth drive like F10 did), where N is the first linux partition.

Solution
======
This means that the ntldr configuration you had before, which looked on sda6 (in my case) for GRUB is now incorrect. I had to update it (using easyBCD, for example) to point to sda7 instead. Now everything is fine.

Apologies
=======
Sorry if this is an obvious solution to a dumb problem, but it held me up for a bit (My MBR is a bit weird and I was scared that I had screwed it up, so I didn't bother to check out the actual partition layout). I figured posting the solution wouldn't hurt =)
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:56 AM
fedora_senthil Offline

Hi HawkBoy,
Thanks for your posting. I am also facing the same issue. Can you say how to work in EasyBCD in brief. Is it available for linux. How to edit it. This will help me lot.

Thanks
Senthil
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:31 PM
HawkBoy Offline

Hi senthil,

EasyBCD is a windows program used for editing the windows bootloader *only*.
If you have grub on the MBR, this isn't your problem (and unless you have other restrictions like me, I recommend using grub instead of the windows loader).

If this *is* your problem, you can get easy bcd here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Be careful with it though, in vista, if you screw up your boot settings, you can't fix them without a vista dvd.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:53 PM
tuxthejedi Offline

Thank you buddy for the solution it's very helpful

Debian

Last edited by tuxthejedi; 2nd August 2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 24th July 2009, 07:43 AM
fedora_senthil Offline

Hi HawkBoy,
Thanks for solution. I will try. In one page I found another solution,

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f11.html

"If you wish to preserve Windows as your primary operating system, then install Grub on the / partition, NOT the MBR. To do this, select Change device on the Install boot loader screen and install to First sector of boot partition. I use Bootpart from Windows 2000/XP to load Linux. An alternative to Bootpart is the NT OS Loader + Linux mini-HOWTO (also Grub Win2K Howto). Vista users can use the Vista Boot Manager following the Port25 Vista Boot Manager Howto. I recommend this so you do not corrupt your Windows installation in a Dual-Boot environment. This does take more work, and the default option on the MBR will also work."

I will try for this too. If I face the issue again I will let you know.

Thanks,
Senthil
Old 24th July 2009, 11:13 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
HawkBoy, did you install F11 using ext4? At present, ext4 installs on Fedora have created a separate /boot partition which may have accounted for the necessary change you mention. Hopefully, F12 and beyond will have the grub problem solved and that extra partition won't be necessary.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 25th July 2009, 08:26 AM
fedora_senthil Offline

Wink Simple way to solve NTLDR

Hi Friends,
I suggest one of the simple way to solve the NTLDR issue. It is better to edit the grub.cong and point the XP path.

Example :

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,2)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=1
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE.img
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
chainloader +1
~

Here you can change "rootnoverify (hd0,4)" to "rootnoverify (hd0,0)" as 0 represents the xp partion (C:\) in my system and reeboot the system. Windows will load.

Note :
/dev/sda1 - points to Windows XP, when you see thro, Logical Volume Manger). So we have to subtract one value from this. Hence (hd0, 0)

Hope this will help all.

Senthil

Tags
boot, booting, fedora, loader, ntldr, problems, solution, windows