Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd July 2009, 07:52 PM
neighborlee Offline

audio problems: low volume

HI there fedora folks,

I am trying to play sounds via : sound applet on gnome taskbar, right click:sound prefs ,- sound vol is set via applet at say 45%, yet I cant hear the alert sounds Im pressing such as, glass & sonar,,is this common with pulse atm or a combo of that and my onboard realtek ac-97 sound chip ? ))<thx anyone>

nl

http://heartseed.sf.net
Old 24th July 2009, 07:42 AM
rexbinary Offline

From the Release Notes:

Volume Control
An updated volume control manager application provides you with more control over your audio preferences. Better integrated with PulseAudio, you can now control individual application inputs and outputs along with the sources and destinations for the audio.

Using the new PulseAudio-based volume applet, there is no way to adjust ALSA sound levels. If they are set too low, raising the PulseAudio sound levels may not work acceptably. For this contingency, the old gstreamer-based volume application is also available by default. It is available under the name Advanced Volume Control, in the System>Preferences menu section. You will also need to use this application if you need to select an input channel for recording (for instance, line-in or mic-in).

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...ultimedia.html

Old 27th July 2009, 06:01 PM
neighborlee Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbinary View Post
From the Release Notes:

Volume Control
An updated volume control manager application provides you with more control over your audio preferences. Better integrated with PulseAudio, you can now control individual application inputs and outputs along with the sources and destinations for the audio.

Using the new PulseAudio-based volume applet, there is no way to adjust ALSA sound levels. If they are set too low, raising the PulseAudio sound levels may not work acceptably. For this contingency, the old gstreamer-based volume application is also available by default. It is available under the name Advanced Volume Control, in the System>Preferences menu section. You will also need to use this application if you need to select an input channel for recording (for instance, line-in or mic-in).

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...ultimedia.html

Stilll having trouble...I set vol high enough to hopefully hear in the area you suggested, and while it helps, its causing other oddness .

I set vol to 85% there, and though its better, by applet on gnome panel is going up to 57% and staying there, even though I just not set it to where I wish it to be at 40%,,is pulse just too bleeding edge even for fedora ? )

Also when I do something that makes a desktop sound, like change to a different tab in xchat, after the initial sound plays, I hear a minor thud like noise afterwards..

Or maybe I need to go through one of those forum threads for fixing pulse..I can do that too, but I wanted to reply here before taking steps unnecessary.

cheers
nl

http://heartseed.sf.net

Last edited by neighborlee; 27th July 2009 at 06:07 PM.

Tags
audio, low, problems, volume