Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2009, 12:26 AM
sveioen Offline

Install Fedora 11 on usb stick

Hello all,

I have a 32 GB USB stick which I would like to install the full Fedora 11 system to (i.e. the DVD). Is this possible? If yes, how? It seems like the only way to do this is by using the Live CD (which does not contain the software I need).

Thanks for any help.
Old 24th July 2009, 02:54 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Take a look around for the thread started by sideways about installing to a USB. I think it's a sticky. (I'm a bit rushed right now, or I'd find it, but look in the forums section, it should either be in general or installation--and as it's a sticky, it should be towards the top.)

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 24th July 2009, 11:56 AM
axet Offline

you can create you own livecd build by using livecd-creator
Old 24th July 2009, 12:57 PM
sveioen Offline

I tried using the liveusb-creator-3.7.1 with Fedora-11-i386-DVD.iso. It didnt boot. Should it?

Last edited by sveioen; 24th July 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 24th July 2009, 01:08 PM
axet Offline

check BIOS settings
Old 24th July 2009, 03:19 PM
Gödel Offline

You can select the usb stick as the target drive for a normal install (unless I misunderstand you). The thread scottro refers to is about installing the dvd from a usb stick (the other way round).

The actual install process is slow since writing to usb memory is slower than writing to standard hard disks.

Install grub to the mbr of the usb stick, and note when booting from it that the drive order may change, so grub.conf may need editing afterwards.
Old 24th July 2009, 03:57 PM
sveioen Offline

Hmm, I might be mixing the different methods here. Basically, I want to have a Live CD, but with all the packages = a live DVD! Whether I have to burn it to a DVD or boot from a usb isnt that critical.
Old 24th July 2009, 06:35 PM
Gödel Offline

Ah, ok, then what you need is livecd-creator (as axet suggested) from the livecd-tools package, not liveusb-creator.

livecd-creator allows you to create custom livecds/dvds by selecting your own package groups, You can start with a kickstart file from spin-kickstarts (*.ks files will be in /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/) and add the extra packages and package groups you require.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo

Tags
fedora, install, stick, usb