Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th July 2009, 10:33 PM
changedtothis Offline

dot matrix printer

hi
trying to use a panasonic dot matrix printer for non-important printing, ones for own reference, printer is detected by fedora 10 and it is printing the documents however
it is not in solid fonts. appears as double line fonts with white space between lines.
how do I get it to print in solid characters? have looked in preferences and done search
in manuals on changing fonts to printer. t his is a panasonic kx 2023 I think is the number.
printing to hp all in one ink jet is ok but looks like bold faced fonts, would like to change
these to normal if possible.

many thanks in advance

changedtothis
Old 28th July 2009, 10:52 PM
zackf Offline

Dude, I'm sorry I can't help with this, but I think it's totally awesome you're using a dot matrix printer. I do believe it's possible to Download additional fonts, maybe the printer only knows old MS ones?
Old 28th July 2009, 11:00 PM
GallComp Offline
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by changedtothis View Post
hi
trying to use a panasonic dot matrix printer for non-important printing, ones for own reference, printer is detected by fedora 10 and it is printing the documents however
it is not in solid fonts. appears as double line fonts with white space between lines.
how do I get it to print in solid characters? have looked in preferences and done search
in manuals on changing fonts to printer. t his is a panasonic kx 2023 I think is the number.
printing to hp all in one ink jet is ok but looks like bold faced fonts, would like to change
these to normal if possible.

many thanks in advance

changedtothis
Are you sure the ribbon is good. If my memory serves me well, I used to have that kind of problem when the ribbon was just too old...

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 30th July 2009, 08:38 PM
changedtothis Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Angry dot matrix printer

thanks GallComp for reply
the ribbon appears to be ok prints ok under windows programs with all fonts I have
tried. use this to save cartridges on hp's when it for own issues with linux or windows
info on how to's or problems etc.

it appears what I would describe as an outline of the font. dashed lines on either side
with white space in between.

thank a lot for reply
changedtothis
Old 30th July 2009, 08:41 PM
zackf Offline

windows_vistafirefox
I wonder if following this guide:
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/09/ins...onts-in-linux/

and copying over your Times New Roman and such from windows would help
Old 30th July 2009, 09:15 PM
beaker_ Offline

unknownunknown
It might be time to breakout a q-tip & bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean those old heads. Gota love them for CR&LF if for nothing else.

Edit: oops missed the windows comment. You once were able to force your fonts through dipswitches or pb on the front. Check manual and try to force a sans serif font.

Last edited by beaker_; 30th July 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 1st August 2009, 07:25 PM
changedtothis Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackf View Post
Dude, I'm sorry I can't help with this, but I think it's totally awesome you're using a dot matrix printer. I do believe it's possible to Download additional fonts, maybe the printer only knows old MS ones?
hi zackf
thanks for reply...using dot matrix to print info and sheets in learning process here to save on
the color and black cartridge cost. and I have a full case of track feed paper.

thanks again
changedto this
Old 20th August 2009, 04:54 AM
changedtothis Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
ok gang looks like I might have it solved.
changed to dots per inch on the printer to 120 and 180 and it seems to have solved the problem
at least for now the printouts are more readable

thanks for all suggestions

changedtothis

Tags
dot, matrix, printer