Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 10th August 2009, 01:34 PM
Z-hh Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Exclamation Network Manager--Activate, Deactivate, and Delete buttons greyed out

Hello ...
I have a problem with Network Manager ....Activate , Deactivate & Delete Buttons are invisible (have a silver colour) ...!
So, i can't connect to the internet .....by the modem ...! (dial-up) .
_wvdial in terminal doesn't work fine _
Thanx
Old 12th August 2009, 11:52 AM
Z-hh Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Where are you guys ..?
I couldn't fix the problem yet..!
are buttons (Activate , Deactivate & Delete) visible in your Network Manager ?

regarded...
Old 12th August 2009, 12:13 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
I don't use it so can't really help. One reason no one has answered is possibly because the title is so vague that busy people just skip it, figuring it's just another rant about network manager.

I've changed the title slightly, so that it has a better chance of getting viewed by someone with the answer. Also, when bumping a thread, it's always good to mention what research you've done on your own.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 12th August 2009, 02:21 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Are you using F10 or F11? In F10 there is a bug where you can't delete connections in NetworkManager (greyed out delete button) which was fixed in F11.
Old 12th August 2009, 06:50 PM
Z-hh Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thank you scottro..
i am using F11 ..... and i have never faced this problem in F10.....!
Old 12th August 2009, 08:41 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
On what NetworkManager screen do you see Activate and Deactivate? I have under Edit Connections, Add, Edit, and Delete only.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:05 AM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
I am pretty sure that Z-hh actually means "Network" (system-config-network), as the Network main configuration screen satisfies his description. "NetworkManager" is an altogether different application from "Network", and I've seen confusion between the two before. Click here for a screenshot of Network and the buttons in question.

I really don't know why the Activate and Deactivate buttons would be greyed out, since you have to be root to be running Network in the first place. On my dialup modem device in Network, now, while it's in use, the Delete button is grayed out (it doesn't want me deleting a device that is currently in use).

I tried unchecking my eth0 device, which is currently 'inactive' under the Profile heading to see if the Activate/Deactivate buttons would grey out when I did that. They didn't, but maybe that's because I hadn't saved my settings change (?). Insure that the checkbox for the modem device under the Profile heading is checked. If it isn't, that might explain things. Check it, save, then see if that fixes it.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 13th August 2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:18 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
PabloTwo: Good catch. I just tried opening system-config-network, and guess what. The aforementioned buttons are greyed out. I strongly suspect that the device that it is looking at is a "persistent device". udev creates these persistent devices and even though you remove the hardware network card that device still shows up unless you go into /etc/udev and edit a file to remove it. Anyway the device that has the buttons greyed out on mine is eth1, the hardware is using eth2 (controlled by NetworkManager) eth1 is an old card that was removed.

Last edited by JEO; 13th August 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:31 AM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
And another thought, Z-hh should also check the setting for the modem under Devices, General tab, that says: Controled by NetworkManager, is not checked. If it is checked, then NM may be preventing Network from Activating/Deactivating the modem.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:48 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Yes. I chose Edit, then unchecked "Controled by NetworkManager", hit ok, then all 3 buttons were active and was able to delete it.

Last edited by JEO; 13th August 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:54 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEO View Post
Are you using F10 or F11? In F10 there is a bug where you can't delete connections in NetworkManager (greyed out delete button) which was fixed in F11.
And also in F10, if you can get the package update pulled down and installed
Old 13th August 2009, 11:24 AM
Z-hh Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
And another thought, Z-hh should also check the setting for the modem under Devices, General tab, that says: Controled by NetworkManager, is not checked. If it is checked, then NM may be preventing Network from Activating/Deactivating the modem.
Thanx ...Pablo Two.
Yes. I chose Edit, then unchecked "Controlled by Network Manager", hit OK, then all 3 buttons were active and was able to activate it.
I think "Controlled by Network Manager" is default checked .. !
Thank you all once again....
Old 13th August 2009, 12:11 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Glad you got it fixed.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 9th February 2010, 01:16 PM
jamesjpn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I started to have this same problem in Fedora 12 after changing to a newer mother board without re-installing Fedora. This thread gave me the answer, namely to un-check "Controlled by NetworkManager". Previously I would have to reboot to fix the problem. Thank you all! I wonder why NetworkManager messes up the LAN device?
Old 27th February 2010, 08:48 AM
Supreed Offline

windows_vistaie
hi Z-hh...I am also facing the same problem with Fedora 12...by i could make it run through the command /etc/init.d/network restart after editing and assigning proper ipaddress and mask. plz try this ...

Tags
buttons, deactivate, delete, greyed, manageractivate, network