Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th August 2009, 09:17 PM
moosepig Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
VisionNet 202es adsl Modem

i'll start this thread off with a warning that it could well be quite frustrating for those trying to help due to the circumstances which i will explain. that said, all help is gratefully received.

i am trying to get my girlfriend who lives on the other side of the world onto the internet.

her HP Pavillion a1620N previously ran windows XP and connected to the internet without difficulty. she got various bugs and viruses which made the computer slow to the point of being unusable. i suggested linux as an alternative which she was happy enough to try.

she has tried various distributions (all of which seem to install correctly), but there is an ongoing problem of not being able to connect to the internet. the latest distro she has installed is f11.

she is using a VisionNet 202es adsl modem.

the first thing that i thought of was that maybe the modem isnt compatible with linux.

all ive done so far is talk her through all of the connections and they all seem to be in place - phone line into modem and modem to computer via ethernet port.

not having access to her computer and also with her not having any alternative access to the internet, i am in a position where putting results of terminal queries such as ifconfig are next to impossible.

i'll do my best to reply to any questions and put as much more information as is required to hopefully get her up and running here if anyone thinks they can help.

Tags
202es, adsl, modem, visionnet