Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th August 2009, 05:14 PM
David Becker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Stanby/Resume failures

In F10, my standby/resume cycle was working without a glitch.

In F11, resuming from standby hardly ever works, maybe 1 in 15 tries will actually allow me to resume from standby.

When resuming, either a blank/black screen comes back, or the desktop background shows without the window to unlock the screen. Sometimes the unlock-screen window appears briefly (2s), then disappears and that's it. Dropping to text/login prompt allows me to enter characters for the login but doesn't prompt me for a password after hitting enter, it just repeats the login prompt. It is a very/overly secure system this way.

For some reason I'm suspecting this has to do with the display driver. I was using fglrx in F10, now I'm using up *#*@ creek without a paddle in F11. Apparently, even if fglrx is released for F11, it won't support my display driver. My machine isn't that old.

Oh, and my display is constantly flickering as if I'm working on a dying CRT. The hardware is an HP 6715B laptop with a radeon RS690M (x1200 equivalent). I'll probably go back to F10. Most releases should have matured by now, but F11, although it's ok for a server, is really not for ATI users.

Progress is the Concorde flying in the 70's and now the airbuses are falling out of the sky.

Thanks,

David

Last edited by David Becker; 20th August 2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: not an xpress 200m, rather an RS690m
Old 22nd August 2009, 06:51 AM
David Becker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks for the massive number of replies. The standby/resume situation seems to have been solved by enabling

action=/usr/sbin/vbetool dpms on

in /etc/acpi/events/video.conf.

Do I have to solve everything myself?

David
Old 25th August 2009, 01:34 AM
nyceyes Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Hi David:

With no luck I tried both.

In the first case, "nv" was already the driver in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Just for grins, I tried
the "nuveau" driver too. That didn't work either.

In the second URL you pointed me to, I uncommented the single line. Also with no
luck.

~Noel
Old 25th August 2009, 06:08 AM
David Becker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceyes View Post
Hi David:

With no luck I tried both.
Then the other David's suggestion would seem more applicable. It was worth a shot.

David

Tags
failures, stanby or resume