Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th August 2009, 05:09 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxmozilla
Apple Snow Leopard

Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...august_28.html

Although Apple can be just as bad, if not worse than MS, at least their OS "works"

If I had enough money I'd get a shiny new 24" iMac and stick windows on this machine and give it to my youngest as a gaming machine....

Wayne
Old 25th August 2009, 05:22 AM
Demz

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
they beat M$ to it, be interesting to see how much they sell compared to how many will buy Windows7
Old 25th August 2009, 07:10 AM
Silpheed2K Offline

windows_vistafirefox
I'm really happy with just Leopard really... think I'll just stick with my current setup.
I honestly fail to see a major difference in Snow Leopard screenshots; unless all of these upgrades are just under the hood.
Old 25th August 2009, 08:15 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxmozilla
Yeah, changes are mostly just under the hood. A lot of redundant code was removed and the rest optimised. It's now leaner and meaner!

All I want is iWork and iLife

Wayne
Old 25th August 2009, 08:21 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Yeah, changes are mostly just under the hood. A lot of redundant code was removed and the rest optimised. It's now leaner and meaner!

All I want is iWork and iLife

Wayne
cant you trade that computer in for one an pay the rest with cash?
Old 25th August 2009, 08:35 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxmozilla
Somehow I don't think I'd get much for it... If I remember rightly, it cost around 45,000 yen plus the monitor. The top of the range iMac costs 244,000 yen. If I got 40,000 for the PC and monitor (at best) I'd still be way short! The cheapest 24" iMac is about similar spec to this PC and costs about 158,000. Even if I smash the piggy bank I still couldn't afford it

Wayne
Old 25th August 2009, 08:38 AM
Demz

w0w, thats a lot of money. guess you'll have to stick with linux or go with the dreaded Devil software
Old 25th August 2009, 11:08 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Yeah, as the upgrade is very inexpensive, I will probably go for it--that's assuming they stick to that price of $29.00 for the upgrade. My better half usually likes the latest and greatest.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 25th August 2009, 04:15 PM
Wayne Offline

linuxmozilla
The upgrade here is about 3000 yen. That is really silly money... I won't run windows myself, OS/2 aka EcomStation is a waste of time so I'm stuck with Linux and its inferior apps
Old 25th August 2009, 05:36 PM
scottro Offline

linuxkonqueror
Yup, 29.00 USD here, about the same. Only 9.95USD if you bought your Mac after June something or other this year.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 26th August 2009, 03:01 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxmozilla
There's a first look at Snow Leopard here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08..._snow_leopard/

Pity 'er indoors only has a G4 iBook She's still running Tiger Still, it's enough for what she uses the machine for....
Old 26th August 2009, 04:14 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
Too many pages. It reminds me of some infographic about what pages used to look like--mostly information with perhaps an ad or two, and what they look like now, with 30 adds bordering page one of many.

I just like the pictures of the kitty cat anyway.

Do you know by the way, are all versions going to be Intel only, or is that just for the upgrade?

Old 26th August 2009, 04:21 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

linuxfedorafirefox
Yeah, I noticed the release earlier this morning. I made a little bit of research about it and failed to identify the differences it has with the current Leopard. I have that one in the POWERMAC that was assigned to me at my school, and after several months of use I have mixed feelings about it:

For one thing it isn't Windows, which is a good thing, it is safe and stable for the most part (perhaps I am too rude) and of course it is pretty and has cool features like Expose, but on the other hand it is not as docile as Linux is and does not run as many software; the Terminal also supports less things (or is simply incompatible?).

Perhaps an analogy will make clearer my perception about the 'three OSs':

OSX is like a classy lady who requires you (if you are to date her) to take her to fancy restaurants, have a nice car, lots of $$$, and stuff (MAC hardware, pay programs, etc). She is also pretty and has very good manners, and for the most part, a 'safe' faithful partner.

Linux is like a nice lady who might not be as expensive or exquisite as the previous lady (she can be expensive as well if you need good support), but she is more comprehensive and can date you even if you don't have lots of $$$. She is also pretty versatile and doesn't mind to share resources with other ladies (dualboot), and for the most part safe and stable.

Windows is a whore, you never know what nasty bug she is gonna get infected with, and she is expensive as well!

Hope no real ladies were offended.

Thanks,
Joe.

Netbook: Acer Aspire One A150
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz, 1.5 GB DDR2 PC2-4200, Intel Graphics (8MB?), 160GB Seagate HDD
Fedora 15 i686
Old 26th August 2009, 02:05 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

windows_vistafirefox
I'm in bed with a tramp... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................^
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............|

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 26th August 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 26th August 2009, 02:12 PM
adrianx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.pelayo View Post
Linux is like a nice lady who might not be as expensive or exquisite as the previous lady (she can be expensive as well if you need good support), but she is more comprehensive and can date you even if you don't have lots of $$$. She is also pretty versatile and doesn't mind to share resources with other ladies (dualboot), and for the most part safe and stable.
A.k.a. marriage material...