Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th September 2009, 07:48 PM
graham_alton Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Preupgrade F10 to F11 Fails to Mount HD and Find Kickstart File

I'm trying to upgrade from F10 to 11 with pre-uprade.

The client finishes fine and tells me to reboot. When booting the upgrade though, the installer fails with the message "Error Downloading Kickstart File". When I look a little closer in the console on F3 I see a call to getFileFromBlockDevice followed by an error saying "failed to mount /dev/UUID=xyz" (where xyz is the correct UUID).

I can see anybody else with this problem with various searches around google and in this forum. My hard disk is a hardware raid from a promise RAID controller but as far as I can see in initrd for the preupgrade (I unpacked it to have a look) it has the relevant modules.

Any idea what's going on here? or how do I get to a command prompt so I can debug further?

Thanks,
Graham
Old 6th September 2009, 08:33 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Have a look at this bug report especially comment #11. Maybe you don't have enough room on your /boot partition for the image file?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=496311
Old 7th September 2009, 08:30 AM
graham_alton Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEO View Post
Have a look at this bug report especially comment #11. Maybe you don't have enough room on your /boot partition for the image file?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=496311
JEO - that's a perfect description of the problem and gives me some good ideas on how to work around it. I don't have a separate /boot partition but my root partition is on hardware RAID, the bug report doesn't make it clear whether the problem is related to both hardware and software RAID so I'm guessing it's both for now.

Many thanks for your response!

Graham
Old 9th September 2009, 03:24 PM
graham_alton Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Using an http link to install.img and shoving my kickstart file on another machine and grabbing that over http seems to have done the trick, I'm now running Fedora 11.

There was one small hitch in the installation. Anaconda appeared to be searching under /mnt/source for the installation repository (looking for the yum repo), however the /mnt/source directory was missing. Simply adding a symbolic link to the repository on my local hard disk (which had already been mounted as usual at /mnt/sysimage) as /mnt/source did the trick. Asking the installation to try again after it timed out looking for the yum repo meant it could find the information it needed and the upgraded proceeded successfully.

Tags
kickstart, preupgrade, raid