Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 12th September 2009, 03:41 AM
soylentman Offline

linuxsafari
System/Administration Menu not prompting for password, then saying wrong password

I'm having a prob w/ system/admin menu.. about 1/2 the progs reply with "The password you typed is invalid. Please try again".

It does not prompt for a password. Some things work some things don't.

I have no idea where to start troubleshooting this error.
Old 12th September 2009, 04:17 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
The chances are that it wants the root password, not the password of the user. Are you typing the root password?

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 12th September 2009, 04:21 AM
soylentman Offline

linuxsafari
Reply: post1264109

It does not ask at all. Already said that.

Thanks for trying.

ay
Old 12th September 2009, 05:41 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
You didn't phrase it clearly enough for me. (Especially after 23:00)

In that case, I think I would try going into the GUI as root. Of course, in Fedora, that's not that easy, but there's a ton of different ways of how to do it around the forum.

I'd be very curious if that solves the issue. If so, it indicates (once again) that it was a foolish decision on their part to ban root login. If that doesn't solve the issue, then it's foolish of me to think it's foolish of them.

All kidding aside, you might want to clarify that on Linuxquestions as well (for others who see the thread there--that is, that there is no prompting at all for a password) If I misunderstood, there is a chance others will too. Or perhaps it's simpy due to the fact that I'm overtired and just missed it, I don't know. (As it's even later now, almost 1:00 AM)

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 12th September 2009, 05:43 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
Just to add, it hits me that usually (in Fedora? Now I'm not sure, I'm in CentOS now, but don't run Gnome so I don't have that menu), but I think that the problem might be that it's not prompting for a password. It seems to me that as a rule, when you click on one of these things, it says that you are doing something that requires root privilege, and then gives you the chance to enter the password.
Can someone confirm or correct that?

Old 12th September 2009, 05:57 AM
soylentman Offline

linuxsafari
Normally it does prompt for a password. Now I just get a popup saying "The password you typed is invalid. Please try again". No password ever typed. Fedora 11_x64 is OS . All updates installed. Can access all using terminal so it's not the end of the world yet.

ay
Old 12th September 2009, 06:13 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
Hrrm.... a new update broke something, perhaps? (I saw your reply on Linuxquestions as well, and yes, I think that makes it clear for anyone else. Also, I took the liberty of deleting the second post, it seemed one of those accidental double posts.)

I'm going to change the thread title slightly--especially as it's the weekend, the more specific the title, the better chance of getting someone who has run into the issue. If the change is a problem, let me know and I'll change it back tomorrow morning.
(Or if another mod sees it first, change it back if the OP requests it.)

Old 13th September 2009, 12:29 AM
soylentman Offline

windows_xp_2003safari
OK. Gave up and did re-install. All is good for now. Thanks anyway to those who tried to help, maybe next time. Guess I'd better start doing my testing new stuff on a VM from now on. Good to see http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu is still kicking. I recall visiting there several years ago. A good deal of information jammed in that site if you don't mind the layout.

ay

Tags
administration, password, system