Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 4th October 2009, 11:43 AM
dj-toonz Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Very bad sound glitches using real time kernel & pulse

Hi all, Hope somebody can help me, I've got a quad core with 12 gig of ram & running a PAE/realtime kernel, but having massive sound problems . when I listen to any music or CD or sound, it starts glitching & breaking up after either 30secs 2:35secs or even any time. It various so I can't tell. I've taken a look at the /etc/security/limits.conf file & noticed a few extra lines in there from what I can tell there to get music applications to work in real time

# End of file

## Automatically appended by jack-audio-connection-kit
* - rtprio 99
* - memlock 4194304
* - nice -10

I've taken a look in the user/groups section & noticed that pulse-rt is empty & that Pulse is pulse for user

Should I put the End Of file at the bottom ?, what I'm asking is how can I fix the sound problems as it makes working with Renoise & ardour *hell of a problem* & I can't even listen to any audio online for more then 30 seconds because of all the problems

I've done a few tests & it is pulseaudio what is the problem

2025 toonz 9 -11 158m 3688 2748 S 85.2 1.6 0:47.49 pulseaudio
2025 toonz 9 -11 158m 7316 6376 S 1.1 3.1 0:59.57 pulseaudio
2025 toonz 9 -11 158m 3688 2748 S 97.5 1.6 0:63.12 pulseaudio

when it starts playing up the cpu levels shoot right up to about 89.5 - 92.6% then the speaker symbol on the task bar disappears & the comes back a few seconds after & I have to stop / start what ever I'm doing at the top & restart the application . would it be better removing pulseaudio & using ALSA so I can use my d.a.w programs

Last edited by dj-toonz; 4th October 2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 4th October 2009, 01:30 PM
QuantumKnot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
It looks like you got the same problem as I do, namely that we cannot get pulseaudio to run with RT priority but only with a nice level of -11.

Tags
bad, glitches, kernel, pulse, real, sound, time