Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th October 2009, 11:54 AM
SpectrumDT Offline

linuxopera
Does "shrink target" mean "shrink to" or "shrink by"?

Hello.

I want to install Fedora 11 by shrinking the current partition (which takes up the entire hard drive) and installing Fedora in the newly created space.

I have one quick question: In the installer, when I select "shrink current system" I get a prompt saying "shrink target (in MB)". What does this mean? If, for example, I set it to 20 GB, does it mean "shrink current system BY 20 GB, thus leaving 20 GB free", or does it mean "shrink current system TO 20 GB, thus leaving everything else free?

I have backed up my most important data, but I would still not like to screw up my partitions by doing the wrong thing. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This tutorial says the number is the amount to shrink by. But I notice that the system refuses to let me reduce the number below 49479 MB, which about corresponds to the amount of used space I have. This suggests that the dialog really means "shrink to". Now I am extra confused.

Last edited by SpectrumDT; 11th October 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 14th October 2009, 11:54 AM
MattQ Offline

windows_98_nt_2000ie
Yes, shrink to

I had the same question - the install dialog could have been worded better. Anyway, I came to the conclusion it meant shrink to. When it came time, I sacrificed a chicken and hit enter, and thankfully ended up with what I wanted, a 30 and 8 split out of 38GB.
Old 14th October 2009, 04:08 PM
SpectrumDT Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattQ View Post
I had the same question - the install dialog could have been worded better. Anyway, I came to the conclusion it meant shrink to.
Yes, I also came to that conclusion.

Does anyone know where to report this usability bug?

Tags
shrink by, shrink target, shrink to