Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 14th October 2009, 09:41 PM
BadMofo666 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
How to stop "... requires an additional plugin" messages

Everytime I open Rhythmbox, I get "Music Player requires an additional plugin" messages. I hit the search button, it finds the plugin, then when I hit install, it says, "all packages are already installed."

How do I stop these messages?

Is this a known bug?

I'm using Fedora 11 x86_64, fully updated,
Old 16th October 2009, 07:34 PM
BadMofo666 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Am I the only one with this problem?
Old 16th October 2009, 07:39 PM
adrianx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I recommend autoten. It will help you to install additional codecs. You will probably want to select "DVD codecs", "Most codecs" and "MP3 codecs" to begin with.
Old 16th October 2009, 08:06 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003ie
He's not the only one with the problem. I've seen it lately with Rhythmbox also, not to mention there seems to be no more icon in the top panel when the program is minimized. Anyhow, Rhythmbox keeps prompting me to install "codecs" for text/html. This happens as I open Rhythmbox and it reads in the music database. Not the first time it is run when one adds the music folder, but from then on every time you open the program. I never bothered to find out why this is happening. Can't be bothered frankly, but it's a pain to have to keep hitting cancel until it stops asking. Annoying to say the least.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 16th October 2009, 08:13 PM
adrianx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
He's not the only one with the problem. I've seen it lately with Rhythmbox also, not to mention there seems to be no more icon in the top panel when the program is minimized. Anyhow, Rhythmbox keeps prompting me to install "codecs" for text/html. This happens as I open Rhythmbox and it reads in the music database. Not the first time it is run when one adds the music folder, but from then on every time you open the program. I never bothered to find out why this is happening. Can't be bothered frankly, but it's a pain to have to keep hitting cancel until it stops asking. Annoying to say the least.
Sorry, I wasn't aware of that, I just assumed that it was a codec problem. To be honest, I haven't used Rhythmbox in ages.
Old 16th October 2009, 08:15 PM
Dies Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Just remove the helper

PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin

Sorry, not on Fedora right now so I don't know if it goes quietly or wants to take half the system with it, but there's always --nodeps. ;-)
Old 16th October 2009, 09:53 PM
BadMofo666 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies View Post
Just remove the helper

PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin

Sorry, not on Fedora right now so I don't know if it goes quietly or wants to take half the system with it, but there's always --nodeps. ;-)
Thanks, that worked well. Didn't have any dependency issues either.

Oh, and to get the icon to stay up in the panel you have to enable the "status icon" plugin and configure it.

Last edited by BadMofo666; 16th October 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:40 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianx View Post
Sorry, I wasn't aware of that, I just assumed that it was a codec problem. To be honest, I haven't used Rhythmbox in ages.
No need to apologize, assuming it is directed my way. Just thought I add that I'm seeing some issues lately in what I assume is a newer version of Rhythmbox that weren't there before.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 17th October 2009, 11:59 AM
Guy Jr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Missing ID3 Demuxer error

I was getting the Requires additional plugin ... Missing ID3 Demuxer error whenever I started up Rhythmbox. Turns out I had two folders with the exact same music files. When I deleted the redundant folder the error went away. Not sure why having two copies of the same music file (i.e two files with the same ID3 tag) in the Rhythmbox music library would cause a missing ID3 Demuxer plugin error though.

Tags
messages, stop