Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th October 2009, 01:04 AM
flokip Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
GNOME Shell - Preview of GNOME 3 - Accelerated 3D graphics is not available

I can not use GNOME Shell - Preview of GNOME 3.
See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora...iew_of_GNOME_3

running
$ desktop-effects
gives window
"Accelerated 3D graphics is not available
Desktop effects require hardware 3D support."

and
gnome-shell --replace &
results in almost unusable desktop. It similar to what gnome 3 is suposed to bee.

from lspci
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
standard f12 drivers

is this a bug or hardware problem ?
Old 29th October 2009, 01:09 AM
Dies Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by flokip View Post
is this a bug or hardware problem ?
Neither. Install the Nvidia drivers then try again.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752
Old 29th October 2009, 07:30 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox
Right, unfortunately the open source NVIDIA driver used by default in Fedora does not yet provide 3D acceleration support. You'll need to use the proprietary NVIDIA driver to try gnome-shell or compiz.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 29th October 2009, 07:54 AM
Demz

will there be 3D in F13? if not whats the point of having the open source NVIDIA driver by default if people are gonna have to use the proprietary driver anyway to use Gnome3
Old 29th October 2009, 08:10 AM
JohnnyLinux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
will there be 3D in F13? if not whats the point of having the open source NVIDIA driver by default if people are gonna have to use the proprietary driver anyway to use Gnome3
Good question.
I'm all for "freedom", but there should be exceptions when it comes to 'necessary' drivers.

I just finished watching Star Wars Episode: III and remembered this line:

Quote:
If you're not with me, then your my enemy - Anakin

Only a Sith deals in absolute. - Obi Wan Kenobi
Is Fedora run by Siths?
Old 29th October 2009, 08:14 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi,

Shipping proprietary drivers has never been an option in Fedora. Red Hat employs the primary developer of Nouveau driver which has been the default since Fedora 11 and it has gotten rapid improvements including Kernel Mode Setting, Suspend/Resume etc. So the situation is already way better than the nv driver developed by Nvidia.

3D support is also planned of course but it is difficult since Nvidia is unwilling to cooperate and provide any documentation. Patience, folks. Good things will come in time.
Old 29th October 2009, 08:22 AM
JohnnyLinux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks Rahul. I remember reading a long article where an Nvidia Developer talks about what you said.

Quote:
Nvidia is unwilling to cooperate and provide any documentation
Here is the article:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...qa_linux&num=1

Quote:
Q: Are there any plans in place to provide new features within the xf86-video-nv driver or to better engage with the Nouveau developers for some open-source support?

With the nv driver, we've always tried to provide something minimal that just works out of the box and requires the least maintenance. For that reason, feature set in the nv driver has stayed pretty slim.

The guys working on nouveau have done a really incredible job so far. However, our policy remains the same: we won't try to hinder their efforts, but we have no plans to help them.

Last edited by JohnnyLinux; 29th October 2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 29th October 2009, 08:48 AM
Demz

whats the point going with Gnome3 if there is no 3d nv driver? as far as i can see, people are just gonna have to keep blacklisting the opensource nvidia driver in Gnome3 untill that driver provides 3D.. its like a catch22. you either use the opensource driver an have no effects in Gnome3 or you blacklist the opensource driver an get effects from the closed source driver

Last edited by Demz; 29th October 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:44 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi,

It would be many more months before GNOME 3 is ready for use for many end users. What is provided in Fedora 12 is a very small portion of it and only a early preview version not installed or enabled by default. Development in the Xorg drivers will continue in parallel to the GNOME 3 development. You will notice that Fedora 12 already includes early 3D support for ATI cards. Since Intel and ATI is mostly covered at this point, the only remaining issue is Nouveau driver. If you want support for it to move faster, participate in testing it and providing your feedback.
Old 29th October 2009, 10:26 AM
Demz

Rahul

i understand but if people are gonna keep blacklisting that nvidia open source driver how are/is the developer of this opensource driver supposed to get feedback

by the way, im refering to Fedora13 an beyond. not 12

Last edited by Demz; 29th October 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 29th October 2009, 02:30 PM
strikeforce Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Gotta say it looks cool!!!

- How to pay forward
Fedora Help Wanted

- Need a quick guide
Fedora Guide
Old 29th October 2009, 04:29 PM
JohnnyLinux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I personally don't care if it ships with free drivers or not, as long as I can install the proprietary drivers with no problems, I fine.

Drivers are one of the couple of things I rather have proprietary. Don't see the Nouveau becoming a full alternative anytime soon, but I hope it does for the 'true' FREE people. I'm sticking proprietary with drivers.
Old 29th October 2009, 05:14 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Demz - If users blacklist modules, I can't do anything about that. Its their choice and freedom to do whatever they like. I can only explain the idea behind why things are the way they are.

timmyw3ar - Proprietary drivers often play catch up as well. They definitely break everytime Xorg changes their ABI and Fedora includes this new Xorg version. Users are struck with ATI or Nvidia decide to update their drivers. There is no support for KMS in the proprietary drivers and no plans either. So it's a tradeoff.
Old 29th October 2009, 05:51 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
Hi,

Shipping proprietary drivers has never been an option in Fedora. Red Hat employs the primary developer of Nouveau driver which has been the default since Fedora 11 and it has gotten rapid improvements including Kernel Mode Setting, Suspend/Resume etc. So the situation is already way better than the nv driver developed by Nvidia.

3D support is also planned of course but it is difficult since Nvidia is unwilling to cooperate and provide any documentation. Patience, folks. Good things will come in time.
I have to respectfully disagree with you there.

Ever since Fedora started shipping Nouveau as the default, Fedora has failed miserably on several systems where other distributions and past Fedora versions using nv have no problems.

On my personal system it was almost impossible to install Fedora 11, I had to open the case and pull a graphics card just to be able to install. Sorry, but that's a huge fail.

Fedora 12 alpha was slightly better in the sense that I only needed to add a bunch of options to the kernel to get it to boot.

Don't get me wrong, I know Fedora is bleeding edge, I pretty much agree with everything you've said and I realize that pushing these changes is sometimes necessary.
I'm just saying...
Old 29th October 2009, 06:21 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Dies,

I know you have had some trouble but Fedora 11 and Fedora 12 has enormous number of users. Our bug stats show give us a better story than just a few personal experiences. Nouveau is in general a MUCH better experience.

Tags
accelerated, gnome, graphics, preview, shell