Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th October 2004, 07:04 PM
Obocaman Offline

what is the equivalent to cmd.exe in linux?

My question is whether I can ldo something like nc -l -p [port] -t -e cmd.exe with a Linux system. If it can be done, then what is the equivalent to cmd.exe in linux (the terminal) and how do I invoke it. If it can't, why is that so?

Thank you.
Old 5th October 2004, 07:06 PM
ilja Offline

I am very sorry, I am not very used to Windows, so I don't have an idea what this command does, maybe you can explain it and I might tell you a Linux alternative.

//edit:
Ok, found something :
http://www.liutilities.com/products/...sslibrary/cmd/

There are different prompts. The one used default in fedora is
/bin/bash
there is also
/bin/bsh
and also
/bin/csh

//2nd edit:
If you want to use the prompt from a remote machine better use telnet or ssh. (Ssh is the best, because it is not plain text, but crypted)

Last edited by ilja; 5th October 2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 5th October 2004, 07:26 PM
Obocaman Offline

Thank you for repplying,
I have tried nc -l -p 53 -t -e /bin/csh but netcat doesn't understand the command.
Basically what I want is to know how to listen on any port with netcat so I it will give the client a shell.
The cmd.exe in windows is just the shell . Anyway, the reason why I want to use netcat rather than Ssh or telnet is that i want to be able to listen on any port.
Old 5th October 2004, 07:38 PM
RHamel Offline

According to the man pages nc will only support -e if nc was compiled with the GAPING_SECURITY_HOLE compile time option, since it allows users to make arbitrary programs available to anyone on the network. Also port 53 is suppose to be reserved for DNS traffic. Hope this helps.
Old 5th October 2004, 07:58 PM
ilja Offline

Ok, first of all I have to admit, I don't have an idea what you are going to do.
But there is the programm called xinetd, that listens to any port and starts applications that are requested. But as far as I understand this app the services have to offer any network services. And a shell deosn't (please prove me wrong, if it is not true). So please see man xinetd
Old 5th October 2004, 08:25 PM
jimbo Offline

Just my two cents but I would just use SSH. You can configure it to listen on whatever port you want and not just the default (22).
Old 5th October 2004, 08:33 PM
RHamel Offline

Could be that Obocaman wants to capture DNS records in which case tcpdump might be the way to go.

Tags
cmdexe, equivalent, linux