Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th November 2009, 03:36 AM
heftigrat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question Nautilus / Image Viewer: Disable Image Auto-Rotate?

Hope this isn't a re-post of an old thread, but I didn't find anything on this from a quick search. Anyway, I've noticed in Gnome pretty much all applications auto-rotate images when viewing, but leave the original image data intact. This may sound silly, but when I want to post pictures on, for instance, Facebook they upload as the picture was originally taken. So, if I took a picture with the camera flipped sideways it appears upright in Nautilus and the two image viewers I have installed, but when I upload the picture it appears to be flipped on its side. Does anyone know how to disable the auto-rotate when viewing feature? Thanks in advance!
Old 5th November 2009, 03:56 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I'm guessing that your camera is setting the auto-rotate in the file's metadata. I know some Canons do. Some apps use it and some ignore it. If that is the case the easiest thing is to turn the setting off on your camera.

There may be a setting in the viewer's preference you can set too. I don't use Gnome so I can't help there.
Old 5th November 2009, 09:41 AM
adrianx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
In the image viewer (a.k.a. Eye of GNOME), automatic orientation can be disabled.

Edit > Preferences > Image View tab
Uncheck "Automatic orientation"

Tags
autorotate, disable, image, nautilus, viewer