Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 17th November 2009, 06:18 PM
MorphingDragon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 555
macossafari
Adobe Flash 10.1

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=822083

Guess what? Adobe decided to fix up flash. Guess what else? The Unixs don't get that hardware accelerated lovin.

What happened to OpenCL as an option. The drivers for it are at least in beta for Linux.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17th November 2009, 07:20 PM
adrianx Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 954
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
Guess what else? The Unixs don't get that hardware accelerated lovin.
I find myself in a very "conspiracy theory" kind of mood tonight, as I often do, but is it because they can't, or is it because they are helping to ensure that that people view the *nixes as 2nd class citizens? Why is it so difficult to port the code? Oh, I forget, stupid patent laws that are supposed to help technology grow.
__________________
Registered Linux User 460110
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17th November 2009, 07:31 PM
MorphingDragon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 555
macossafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianx View Post
I find myself in a very "conspiracy theory" kind of mood tonight, as I often do, but is it because they can't, or is it because they are helping to ensure that that people view the *nixes as 2nd class citizens? Why is it so difficult to port the code? Oh, I forget, stupid patent laws that are supposed to help technology grow.
Apple seem to be the only company that stands up to Adobe... oh and Microsoft. Silverlight runs better on mac OSX.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17th November 2009, 07:50 PM
lovenemesis Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 305
linuxfirefox
I tried their 10.1 Linux version on F12.

No improvement for CPU overload.

Well, it seems that flash 10.1 for Linux is meaningless.
__________________
Fedora Ambassador & Translator
Editor of LinuxTOY
Smolts Profile


Take a Deep Breath out of Windows
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17th November 2009, 07:54 PM
adrianx Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 954
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
Apple seem to be the only company that stands up to Adobe... oh and Microsoft. Silverlight runs better on mac OSX.
I don't view Silverlight as an alternative. Isn't just another thing that complicates web standards even further?
__________________
Registered Linux User 460110
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17th November 2009, 10:47 PM
MorphingDragon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 555
windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovenemesis View Post
I tried their 10.1 Linux version on F12.

No improvement for CPU overload.

Well, it seems that flash 10.1 for Linux is meaningless.
OMG I have to hug your avatar. @_@

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianx View Post
I don't view Silverlight as an alternative. Isn't just another thing that complicates web standards even further?
Its better than flash either way. Why can't Google/Apple and Mozilla decide on an HTML5 Video codec?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17th November 2009, 11:56 PM
BlueC Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 733
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
Its better than flash either way. Why can't Google/Apple and Mozilla decide on an HTML5 Video codec?
Because Apple suck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18th November 2009, 01:13 AM
MorphingDragon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 555
windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Because Apple suck.
You do realize Mozilla is the only organisation not pushing a standard video codec right? Firefox is the IE of the HTML5 world!

Chrome/Safari/Opera = h.264
Firefox = ogg video container

Last edited by MorphingDragon; 18th November 2009 at 01:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18th November 2009, 01:18 AM
BlueC Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 733
linuxfedorafirefox
I'm with Mozilla on that one, I'd prefer to see ogg adopted as standard.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18th November 2009, 01:56 AM
MorphingDragon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 555
windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
I'm with Mozilla on that one, I'd prefer to see ogg adopted as standard.
So you'd prefer the lesser quality, non-hardware accelerated codec? Wow... I thought people like you only appeard on Apple forums.

Egimicate Yourself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18th November 2009, 10:09 AM
BlueC Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 733
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
So you'd prefer the lesser quality, non-hardware accelerated codec? Wow... I thought people like you only appeard on Apple forums.

Egimicate Yourself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
Hi Steve, good of you to drop by!

I don't think you're going to find much support on a Fedora forum for your patent encumbered H264 codec as it pretty much flies in the face of the Fedora mission and values, but good luck trying! It is included in rpmfusion as a necessary evil, but in its current state will never make it into Fedora.

Also try getting some facts rather than just thriving off your own apple propaganda. If people adopt theora (which is *truly* open) then hardware acceleration will follow so that is a nonsense argument. As for lesser quality, that is highly debatable and largely depends on the bitrate you choose to encode at.

What isn't debatable is that ogg theora is a truly open standard that could liberate video encoding/decoding if enough people and organisations get behind it.

What we really need is for more people to get behind Ogg Theora including Google and the BBC then the development could rapidly overtake h264 and we could all enjoy truly open video.

Some bedtime reading for you:

http://blog.mozilla.com/schrep/2008/...e-one-we-have/

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18th November 2009, 10:13 AM
MorphingDragon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 555
macossafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Hi Steve, good of you to drop by!

I don't think you're going to find much support on a Fedora forum for your patent encumbered H264 codec as it pretty much flies in the face of the Fedora mission and values, but good luck trying! It is included in rpmfusion as a necessary evil, but in its current state will never make it into Fedora.

Also try getting some facts rather than just thriving off your own apple propaganda. If people adopt theora (which is *truly* open) then hardware acceleration will follow so that is a nonsense argument. As for lesser quality, that is highly debatable and largely depends on the bitrate you choose to encode at.

What isn't debatable is that ogg theora is a truly open standard that could liberate video encoding/decoding if enough people and organisations get behind it.

What we really need is for more people to get behind Ogg Theora including Google and the BBC then the development could rapidly overtake h264 and we could all enjoy truly open video.

Some bedtime reading for you:

http://blog.mozilla.com/schrep/2008/...e-one-we-have/

Chris
You're accusing me of propaganda!? Oh the delicious irony. I bet you have RPMFusion Repos active so anything you say is a moot point.
BTW, my names' Rob nice to meet you. FTR I came here to give people some news, you're the one who started Company Bashing.

Last edited by MorphingDragon; 18th November 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18th November 2009, 10:25 AM
BlueC Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 733
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
I bet you have RPMFusion Repos active so its a moot point.
Haha, you don't get it at all do you? It's not a moot point at all, did you even get as far as reading the title of that article?

"Building the world we want, not the one we have"

That says everything really.

rpmfusion exists precisely *because* of this problem and in the world we have it is unfortunately a necessary evil. If we support the open and non-encumbered formats then rpmfusion disappears and we can all benefit from open and non-encumbered software and standards.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18th November 2009, 10:30 AM
MorphingDragon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 555
macossafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Haha, you don't get it at all do you? It's not a moot point at all, did you even get as far as reading the title of that article?

"Building the world we want, not the one we have"

That says everything really.

rpmfusion exists precisely *because* of this problem and in the world we have it is unfortunately a necessary evil. If we support the open and non-encumbered formats then rpmfusion disappears and we can all benefit from open and non-encumbered software and standards.
Ah, the good 'ol days of Linux/FOSS troll baiting.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22nd November 2009, 01:56 AM
moosepig Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Ireland, UK
Posts: 85
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Because Apple suck.
their sales will plummet when people read this well-constructed argument. im away now to throw out my ipod and powerbook. i cant believe how misled i was.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adobe flash dlv Using Fedora 5 18th April 2009 04:50 PM
Adobe Flash Install James Board Using Fedora 3 11th April 2008 11:02 PM
Adobe flash for F8 arep3 Using Fedora 10 27th March 2008 11:25 PM
Firefox and Adobe Flash site don't agree on Flash version schwim Using Fedora 11 6th February 2007 03:02 AM
Flash & Adobe.. bigboss2200 Using Fedora 2 23rd October 2005 11:05 AM


Current GMT-time: 02:22 (Thursday, 23-10-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
Wenling - Jequie Photos - Alvaro Obregon Instagram Photos