Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th November 2009, 01:41 PM
StaticShell Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Fedora Request for next spin off

Hi all,

this may seem insulting altho I do not intend for it to be so. I love Fedora, I loved red hat, all Linux apart from Ubuntu...(I hate its hype!)

anyway, I feel that all leading Linux distros (including Fedora) are walking a different path than what it used to. I mean, I feel like its trying to become (MS Windows * / MAC)?

although I feel Fedora, Solaris, etc are so much nicer than windows, I am sickened by how much it has become like it,

Past Love:
I miss mounting my Pen drive and internet connections in the terminal
I miss seeing the info log on startup
I miss my endless struggles to install new hardware

Present Hate:
I hate the update manager and its constant updates of crap
I hate that annoying loading bubble at startup
I hate how my sister at 12 yrs can use LINUX!

I think Fedora (being the best distro out there ) should change its mainstream path from the rest, by keeping its old style. still containing all the cool stuff, but making it more LINUX, than the rest.

I given a small**** list below of some changes I think would make a new Fedora release look (Kicking*) compared to the rest...

1) Get rid of boring loading bubble - Instead have some cool logs scroll past screen, like in the matrix!! so user can see everything is working ok. Bubble loading thing* is of no use and makes me want to cry waiting on the log in screen.

2) When in GUI, a question should be asked like, do you wish to enable annoying updates?
if no is selected, then I should never be annoyed about any again until I choose to install them.
I know you going to say I can choose not to install them, but that annoying icon always comes back!

3) Like in red Hat, when installing users should be asked, if they want a desktop package, or a development one. I think the choice of having g++ and codeblocks pre-installed on development installations would rule.

I not trying to bad mouth fedora, I LOVE IT, I just miss some of the past styles of LINUX, I guess sometimes change is hard to accept
Old 20th November 2009, 01:47 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

windows_vistafirefox
Why not try Arch, Slack, or Gentoo?
Old 20th November 2009, 01:49 PM
salvachn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
1) Pressing Esc while it boots isn't a hard thing, and I get into interactive boot mode at times.

2) I don't know what you mean by annoying, but updates, especially those fixing security holes are pretty important

3) I don't think I can disagree with you there.

And if more people use Linux, it is something to be happy and proud about, especially with younger people.
Old 20th November 2009, 01:54 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Ain't gonna happen.

The reasoning was very eloquently done somewhere by Adam--I wish I could find that post and make it sticky. They are slowly sharpening their definition of a target audience, and it seems to be aimed at the desktop.

Present hates
yum remove packagekit-*

That should get rid of the annoying updates. Use the command line.
Bubble (or blue and white line if your video isn't completely supported). In grub, remove the rhgb quiet line from the long kernel line.
During installation, you can customize. There are package groups, including development tools.

As for your rant, many of us have said pretty much the same thing. However, we have, I think, come to accept that we are the minority--the majority of Linux distributions, Ubuntu, Fedora and company, are aimed more at the desktop user, and though one can customize it to make it into more of a sysadmin's type system, it takes effort. Apparently, we're all in the minority.

Yes, I saw the part about choosing not to install it--I honestly don't know how to configure it one way or the other, as I simply use fluxbox, so there's no applet for it.. However, I'm sure there's a way--and hopefully, someone else will be able to tell you that way--to turn it off completely.

Just know that you aren't alone, if that helps, but basically, the only thing to do, at this point, is probably accept it and find your own workarounds for it.

There are still a few distributions left that work the way It Used To Be(TM). Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, at least to a point, a few others.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 20th November 2009, 01:55 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
@salvachn, the escape at boot doesn't seem to immediately bring you (or me at least), to the screen, it seems to kick in a bit after udev starts.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 20th November 2009, 02:10 PM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Actually, if the bubble is popping up, it indicates many things are working fine.
I like the bubble.

I'm not so crazy about debug kernels running at 1/3 speed.
99.9% of the users hampered so .01% of the users can file a bug once in a blue bubble moon?
Totally restrictive for little benefit.
I should be a kernel option that can be removed.

And how about BDB, and such things.
One little low level change and it stops a dozen packages from being tested for a month.
The left hand and the right isn't even on the same body.

SJ
Old 20th November 2009, 02:23 PM
StaticShell Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I know I can press escape on boot, but omg that loading bar (Bubble*)really takes the biscuit!

Code:
I'm not so crazy about debug kernels running at 1/3 speed.
99.9% of the users hampered so .01% of the users can file a bug once in a blue bubble moon?
Totally restrictive for little benefit.
I should be a kernel option that can be removed.
agreed

Code:
Why not try Arch, Slack, or Gentoo?
I have done, but like I say, I loved red hat (first linux for me) so I wanted to stick to fedora and be there crash test dummy and see where its distro goes from here

Code:
2) I don't know what you mean by annoying, but updates, especially those fixing security holes are pretty important
Not for me, an update wont protect anything, may fix a bug, but I dont care

Code:
yum remove packagekit-*
I appreciate the tip, I just think it would be nice to ask user, like in XP "Turn automatic updates off" thats all

I also didnt intend to sound annoyed at the fact that younger people or more people are using Linux, I love it, just I didnt think using it in this way was what I expected?

I could guarantee if you removed that boring bubble, then included a cooler log info screen, matrix style and asked about updates, no-one would complain, they would be happier

Just a friendly hint******

Last edited by StaticShell; 20th November 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 20th November 2009, 02:36 PM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The kerenl line options
(remove rhgb queit) add
nomodeset 3

You will see all the startup messages, it will come up in a command prompt.
logon as useryou
type in
startx

IN Gnome menu - System, Prefs, Startup Applications
uncheck Packagekit.

SJ