Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st November 2009, 10:32 AM
finnsonc Offline

windows_7firefox
F12 DVD has error - tried burning and downloading several times

Well, the title pretty much says it all. I've downloaded the DVD version of Fedora 12 with a torrent so it shouldn't be corruped - checked the hash anyway and it wasn't - and I burnt it at a low speed and has my burning program verify that it did indeed burn what it was supposed to. I tested the disc for errors and every time it shows up that around the 70% mark that the DVD has an error. Could someone help me fix this?

Thanks
Old 21st November 2009, 10:46 AM
BenTrein Offline

linuxopera
I won't be of much help, but I'd suggest that you'd try again at high speed burning with a new DVD. It may be that your blank DVD was corrup(t)ed... One in a billion it happens.
Otherwise, wait for a solar eclipse to happen on October 31st and use the disk to look at the sun. That may fix it. :P Sorry, please appreciate my attempt to lighten the situation. I burnt at high speed, and nothing went wrong.

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp. The more you surf the more it draws you in!

Great authors suffer from Writer's Block. I cherrish my Writer's Blog!
Old 21st November 2009, 12:27 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
What do you mean, checked for errors--do you mean when you install and it says it will do a media check, that you have an option to skip? Or do you mean during in installation it fails after installing about 70 percent of the packages?
If you're talking about that media check, just skip it and try installing anyway. It's frequently inaccurate in my experience.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 21st November 2009, 08:12 PM
finnsonc Offline

windows_7firefox
It was during the media check that it said there was an error but, I did try installing it once or twice too and it too said that there was an error. I'll try it again with the new DVD that I burnt but I don't expect it'll work The funny thing is that I had gotten a fedora 11 DVD from the Linux Format and it was doing the same thing. Maybe I'll try the CD's, a bit of a pain to have to burn 4 of them but, if it'll work - who really cares?

Edit: Well, the installation worked that time, weird how stuff like that happens. Must've been an eclipse...

Tags
burning, downloading, dvd, error, f12, times