Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th November 2009, 05:46 PM
miles Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
save me from adobe flash bs

I can't play some youtube videos since I guess I don't have "latest" flash player (I do have a flash lib in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins).

I'm tired of this proprietary nonsense - is gnash or something else working with you tube and firefox ? or epithany ? how does gnash, whatever get plugged into Firefox so that clicking on a you tube video will bring it up ? Also if I have flash block installed will this interfere with gnash ?
thks.
Old 25th November 2009, 06:23 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfedorafirefox
I've been solely using Gnash for almost two years now and it does the job for me. It isn't compatible with latest Flash version(s) though so you may not be able to view all videos. So, if seeing all Youtube, and other sites', Flash crap is important to you, stick with official Flash, it's better than Gnash for that.

Me, I can very easily live without ever seeing a single Flash video...

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 27th November 2009, 03:51 AM
miles Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
I've been solely using Gnash for almost two years now and it does the job for me. It isn't compatible with latest Flash version(s) though so you may not be able to view all videos. So, if seeing all Youtube, and other sites', Flash crap is important to you, stick with official Flash, it's better than Gnash for that.

Me, I can very easily live without ever seeing a single Flash video...
okay, it looks like Flash 10 is not available for x64 so I installed Gnash - works great for YouTube

BUT it does not appear that Gnash works with Google Street View - at least in Firefox and F12.
Old 27th November 2009, 03:54 AM
Firewing1 Offline

macossafari
Have you seen this threaD?
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...t=flash+64+bit

Flash 10 RPM naitive x86_64.
Old 27th November 2009, 07:36 AM
miles Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewing1 View Post
Have you seen this threaD?
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...t=flash+64+bit

Flash 10 RPM naitive x86_64.
First, I don't know if I want to take any advice from someone who logs in from a Mac, not Fedora! Nothing against OSX except we don't use it for several reasons and want advice from people who walk the Fedora talk.

Furthermore, if you go to Adobe's download center there is no x64 version - just a "linux" version for version 10 (which I now assume is version 10.1 - that's the problem - they aren't very technically clear about what you are getting) - maybe the new 10 supports x64 as well - don't know and they don't seem to give any info on it - that's why I call this all bs.

Furthermore 2, some of the suggestions in the other threads is to link into Adobe's repository - yeah, right, I don't want our open source systems to be at the mercy of a proprietary company's repository - sounds really insecure to me.

While I support a world not dependent on proprietary flash - until Google breaks it's love affair with it, to totally avoid flash is to avoid a lot of the internet world. So i downloaded the new version - I'll see if that works - I hope the Gnash team can catch up with vers 10 and I hope eventually all video goes to an open standard like ogg theora.
Old 27th November 2009, 07:51 AM
forkbomb Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
First, I don't know if I want to take any advice from someone who logs in from a Mac, not Fedora! Nothing against OSX except we don't use it for several reasons and want advice from people who walk the Fedora talk.
LOL! Firewing's a Fedora guru who knows more about Fedora and Linux than half the folks who use Linux could ever hope to know. I doubt somebody who didn't know anything about the "Fedora walk" would bother making ~10,000 posts on a forum related to Fedora.

Quote:
Furthermore, if you go to Adobe's download center there is no x64 version
There's an alpha (or possibly into Beta) native x86_64 flash plugin somewhere on the site. They admittedly hide it because the pervasive attitude of some software coders is that users must be protected from their own stupidity (I'll refrain from agreeing or disagreeing with that).

Quote:
yeah, right, I don't want our open source systems to be at the mercy of a proprietary company's repository - sounds really insecure to me.
I fully understand desire for security, and it's a good policy to be wary of third party repositories. But if that's your attitude, perhaps you need to weigh your desire for flash against that attitude.

The problem is that flash likely introduces security holes whether you're using Adobe Flash, gnash, or what have you. I personally run NoScript no matter what OS I'm using or whatever Flash implementation I'm using, because of the fact that Flash is a security liability despite its pervasiveness across the webernets.

Last edited by forkbomb; 27th November 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 27th November 2009, 04:22 PM
CrystalCowboy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The tip from Gödel in this thread worked for me:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...iewer.bin.real

Although curiously, I am not running Desktop Effects.

I had similar symptoms:
Fedora 12 (x84_64)
flash_plugin (32)
Could not click-start videos or pause them, etc with mouse-clicks. Hitting hte space bar to pause/restart worked though. Symptoms varied from video to video; had problems with embedded videos but could view them OK on YouTube.com.

To repeat the advice which worked:
Quote:
su -
cd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/
mv npviewer.bin npviewer.bin.real
echo \#\!/bin/sh > npviewer.bin
echo GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npviewer.bin.real \$\* >> npviewer.bin
chmod 755 npviewer.bin

Tags
adobe, flash, save