Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th December 2009, 09:29 PM
phefner Offline

linuxsafari
Non-repo FF and Flash 10 (adobe repo) crashing

I searched through the forum for this, but haven't found an answer. My apologies if this has been posted before.

I'm using the Mozilla version (tar.gz) of FF 3.5.5 and I'm using the Adobe Repo to install Flash 10. Everytime I go to a Flash site (youtube, Hulu, Amazon VOD) the browser crashes.

If I use the Fedora Repo version of FF (also 3.5.5) then the crashing is much less frequent, although it does still happen.

I tried making a symbolic link from the flash-plugin directory under /usr/lib/flash-plugin into the /home/user/firefox/plugins directory, but still no dice.

How do I get Flash to behave properly with my Mozilla version of FF 3.5.5...any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 14th December 2009, 10:08 PM
Sagitter Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Code:
$ rpm -qa | grep flash
Are you extensions installed on Firefox?
Old 14th December 2009, 10:33 PM
phefner Offline

linuxfirefox
Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitter View Post
Code:
$ rpm -qa | grep flash
Are you extensions installed on Firefox?
Yes I have extensions installed. The system crashes when I run them enabled and disabled. There is no difference in performance, as the Mozilla version of FF (the tar.gz you get from Mozilla.com) still crashes any time that Flash is called.

The crashes also happen with the Fedora version of FF, but they are not as frequent.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:46 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Fedora Release and ARCH ? FireFox RPM version-release and ARCH ?? Flash Player ARCH (both binary and RPM) ??? Install any "helper" packages (e.g.: nspluginwrapper, libflashsupport, etc.) ?

V
Old 14th December 2009, 11:40 PM
newiLuvatar Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
have you tried starting FF from terminal? maybe you can find some error messages there... or in /var/log/messages...
Old 15th December 2009, 12:44 AM
phefner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
ARCH is i386 for all.
Fedora is 12 (latest kernel x.166)
Flash is 10.0.42.34
FF is both latest repo 3.5.5-1 and latest release from Mozilla 3.5.5
Not sure about helper packages...

Last edited by phefner; 15th December 2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: because I was too dumb to include this info the first time ;)
Old 15th December 2009, 02:17 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Hmm... can you please post results:
su
updatedb
ls -lha `locate libflashplayer.so`
rpm -q nspluginwrapper libflashsupport gnash

V
Old 15th December 2009, 02:45 AM
phefner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
Hmm... can you please post results:
su
updatedb
ls -lha `locate libflashplayer.so`
rpm -q nspluginwrapper libflashsupport gnash

V
Here it is:

[root@merry patrick]# updatedb
[root@merry patrick]# ls -lha `locate libflashplayer.so`
-rwxrwxr-x 1 patrick patrick 11M 2009-11-13 11:12 /home/patrick/Downloads/install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-12-14 15:19 /home/patrick/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so -> libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9.9M 2009-10-27 22:26 /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2009-12-14 13:19 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root patrick 124K 2009-12-14 19:28 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2009-12-14 13:19 /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.0/plugins/libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
[root@merry patrick]# rpm -q nspluginwrapper libflashsupport gnash
nspluginwrapper-1.3.0-10.fc12.i686
package libflashsupport is not installed
gnash-0.9.0-0.6.20090809bzr11401.fc12.i686
Old 15th December 2009, 03:05 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
This symlink is pointing to itself - I would expect it to be flashing red (broken link):
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-12-14 15:19 /home/patrick/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so -> libflashplayer.so
Also: the flash-plugin is already installed elsewhere, where it's supposed to be, and where FireFox will look for and find it, including the usual and appropriate symlinks. Plus the symlink is owned by root, not 'patrick', although it's located in 'patrick's HOME directory. I would recommend that you simply remove it:
su
unlink /home/patrick/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

NSPluginWrapper is not required for 32-bit and may even interfere with Flash Player on 32-bit. Any possible benefits are debatable. Therefore, I suggest that you remove it. Same with GNASH: having two, potentially redundant and therefore conflicting plugins to handle flash content may cause problems. Recommend that you remove GNASH also. Note that you can always re-install this stuff later, if necessary, or if these "fixes" don't work:
su
yum remove nspluginwrapper gnash

Re-start of any open FireFox instances required afterwards.

See what happens...

V
Old 15th December 2009, 03:19 AM
phefner Offline

linuxfirefox
Still no go. Flash still dies. I removed gnash, nspluginwrapper, and I unlinked the sym. link.

The firefox that I'm using was the tar.gz from mozilla.com which I unpacked into a folder called "Programs" under my user profile. Do I need to move it to another location, such as where the usr/lib folder?
Old 15th December 2009, 03:33 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
I would leave it for now, and try again the "stock" firefox RPM package. Leaving the tarball where it's at should prevent conflicts in the short term while you check out the "stock" firefox. You can shuffle it to another, possibly better location later. In that event, I would suggest: /opt/firefox-3.5.5/ (create that folder if necessary, and dump the whole tarball contents into it).

V

P.S. If firefox is running from tarball from some folder such as /home/patrick/Programs/... , then it may not be finding any flash player plugin at all... .

Last edited by Hlingler; 15th December 2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 15th December 2009, 03:44 AM
phefner Offline

linuxfirefox
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
I would leave it for now, and try again the "stock" firefox RPM package. Leaving the tarball where it's at should prevent conflicts in the short term while you check out the "stock" firefox. You can shuffle it to another, possibly better location later. In that event, I would suggest: /opt/firefox-3.5.5/ (create that folder if necessary, and dump the whole tarball contents into it).

V

P.S. If firefox is running from tarball from some folder such as /home/patrick/Programs/... , then it may not be finding any flash player plugin at all... .
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just moved it to /opt/firefox/ but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll reinstall the RPM since it doesn't crash nearly as much as the tarball does.

Thanks for the help!

Tags
adobe, crashing, flash, nonrepo, repo