AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox
Testing request: latest F12 xorg-x11-server build

Hi, everyone. Dave Airlie would like it if people could help us
regression-test the latest xorg-x11-server build for F12, which you'll
be able to find here:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=147423

We have quite a lot of changes queued up, and we will need to send these changes out as an update at some point - there's important fixes in there. But we'd like some reasonable assurance that it doesn't break anything horribly, obviously. If those of you with F12 machines could stick this build on and make sure things work alright, that'd be great.

Please report whether it seems OK or you run into problems in this thread. Thanks!
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 18th December 2009, 12:09 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Works For Me

Code:
[gene@Mobile-PC ~]$ yum list installed xorg-x11-server*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, show-leaves
flash                                                                                       1/1
Installed Packages
xorg-x11-server-Xorg.x86_64       1.7.3-3.fc12      @/xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.7.3-3.fc12.x86_64  
xorg-x11-server-common.x86_64     1.7.3-3.fc12      @/xorg-x11-server-common-1.7.3-3.fc12.x86_64
Running a terminal window, log file viewer, firefox, and exaile at the moment, and all is well. Log file:
Code:
X.Org X Server 1.7.3
Release Date: 2009-12-3
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: x86-7 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5 
Current Operating System: Linux Mobile-PC 2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 9 10:46:22 EST 2009 x86_64
Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_mobilepc-lv_root  LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us
Build Date: 17 December 2009  12:08:29AM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.7.3-3.fc12
looks clean, too.

EDIT: Gnome/Openbox on a Toshiba laptop, Smolt ID.

dd_wizard

Last edited by dd_wizard; 18th December 2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:29 AM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I is working ok on My F12 and 1/2 systems.

Pent IV intel865BGF intel graphics Gnome

Pent II VIA Apollo-133 Nviidia NV11 using nouveau drv Gnome servers(httpd, mysql, samba, subversion)

SJ
Old 18th December 2009, 03:11 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Pardon my ignorance - or not...
I was considering trying it, but I do not see this package in updates-testing but instead an older xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.7.1.9.fc12.i686 - updates-testing package. It appears to me that this is on the koji repository, but I haven't figured out how to add that repository. Why would it not be in updates-testing?
Old 18th December 2009, 03:23 AM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
You download the rpm's and install/update with rpm program.
The point of the test is to verify it does NOT trash anything BEFORE it gets to updates-testing.
An extra Quality Assurance from AdamW, the QA engineer for redhat.

SJ

Last edited by SlowJet; 18th December 2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: does NOT
Old 18th December 2009, 03:25 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Batson View Post
Pardon my ignorance - or not...
I was considering trying it, but I do not see this package in updates-testing but instead an older xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.7.1.9.fc12.i686 - updates-testing package. It appears to me that this is on the koji repository, but I haven't figured out how to add that repository. Why would it not be in updates-testing?
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=147423 use rpm --Uvh to get it from koji
Old 18th December 2009, 03:46 AM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfedorafirefox
Seems to be working well enough for me
Old 18th December 2009, 04:49 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
I saw the link already, but rpm -Uvh won't automatically download from koji will it? I wouldn't think so.

I understand how to download the set of files and install locally. I just thought it would be easier from a repository.

dd_wizard wrote: [gene@Mobile-PC ~]$ yum list installed xorg-x11-server*
This made me think he was installing from a repository.
Old 18th December 2009, 08:08 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Batson View Post
I saw the link already, but rpm -Uvh won't automatically download from koji will it? I wouldn't think so.

I understand how to download the set of files and install locally. I just thought it would be easier from a repository.

dd_wizard wrote: [gene@Mobile-PC ~]$ yum list installed xorg-x11-server*
This made me think he was installing from a repository.
this is why Adamw posted the URL to download X-Server . rpm -Uvh followed by the URL link should install the appropriate stuff
Old 18th December 2009, 08:38 AM
PavanKY Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi,

I would like to test it, but could anyone tell me the files that I might need to back up ?

Also, does installing the following package take care of everything that is needed?
xorg-x11-server-source-1.7.3-3.fc12.noarch.rpm
or do I need to install xorg-x11-server-*.rpm ?
Old 18th December 2009, 06:30 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox
Few notes: if you want a 'backup', just keep a copy of the current official packages handy. The worse that can happen with this update is X stops working, in which case you just boot to a console and install the old packages with rpm.

You need to update any of the packages that are available from the koji page which you currently have installed - usually xorg-x11-server-Xorg, xorg-x11-server-common, and possibly xorg-x11-server-devel - to the 1.7.3-3 version, to do a proper test.

the reason this isn't in updates-testing is we just wanted a sanity check before even putting them in there, since X.org is a sensitive component.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 18th December 2009, 06:56 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
David, I downloaded the xorg-x11-server-Xorg and xorg-x11-server-common RPMs from koji, then did
Code:
sudo yum --nogpgcheck localupdate xorg*
in the download directory. That way, yum knows about the update, and it can be undone with yum if things break. Of course, koji packages never break anything, but it's still a good idea.

dd_wizard
Old 19th December 2009, 12:24 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
this is why Adamw posted the URL to download X-Server . rpm -Uvh followed by the URL link should install the appropriate stuff
Didn't work here. Just tried it to see if it would. I could have the syntax wrong...

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# rpm --Uvh xorg-x11-server* http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=147423
--Uvh: unknown option
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -Uvh xorg-x11-server* http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=147423
error: File not found by glob: xorg-x11-server*
Retrieving http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=147423
[root@localhost ~]#
BTW, AdamW could have posted the link so one could manually download the files as dd_wizard did. I just installed as per dd_wizard's instructions. After rebooting I still have a Gnome desktop. I take that as a good sign!
Old 19th December 2009, 06:57 AM
PavanKY Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I was able to install them using this method mentioned by dd_wizard
Quote:
David, I downloaded the xorg-x11-server-Xorg and xorg-x11-server-common RPMs from koji, then did
Code:
sudo yum --nogpgcheck localupdate xorg*
in the download directory. That way, yum knows about the update, and it can be undone with yum if things break. Of course, koji packages never break anything, but it's still a good idea.
Unfortunately these did not work on my system. I was able to log in, but once I logged in there was a small popup window which kept flickering (with no visible text), and I could see the desktop background.

That is when I jumped to console mode and did this
Code:
sudo yum downgrade xorg-x11-server-*
But before I did that I stored Xorg.*.log from /var/log. There were three files, I am not sure which ones would be relevant. The files being
1) Xorg.0.log
2) Xorg.0.log.old
3) Xorg.9.log

Please let me know which file you think would be relevant. I have a HP DV6000Z (AMD Turion X2, nvidia geforce 7200) running GNOME.

I would love to help further with whatever limited knowledge I have

Let me know what else I can do regarding this.
Old 19th December 2009, 06:31 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
@silentfreak:

The current Xorg.0.log will tell you if any errors occurred the last time the X server started.

dd_wizard