Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th December 2009, 07:45 PM
KenJackson Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Upgrading with netinst CD, "Unable to read package metadata..."

I downloaded Fedora-12-x86_64-netinst.iso, burned a CD and booted it to upgrade my Fedora 11 system. It seemed to be working at first, but after it made a network connection and spun for a while, it displayed an error message which I scrawled down with a pen that looked something like this:

Quote:
Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a missing repo data directory. Please ensure that your install tree has been correctly generated.

failure:
repodata/8dc56a87... filelists.sqlite.bz2 from updates; [Error 256]
No more mirrors to try.
Whose repo data directory are they talking about? With F11, I do yum update succesfully. Is there something else I have to do?

BTW, the posted sha1sum for the CD is:
87569889fe1f05b8f74e7045caa4957ab1126744ca2d276704 520f111eb1bb27
but when I calculate it, I get:
3e7e0089c44d577807de8a7c24ce8a0e0aa05a88

I don't understand why the length is different. But I downloaded it from three different sites and they were all identical.
Old 21st December 2009, 07:19 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
This is the repo data directory on the mirror where it intends to load the packages from. I guess what it basically means is that it cannot reach the mirror. Is your network connection working?
Old 21st December 2009, 10:39 AM
KenJackson Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
Is your network connection working?
The network works just fine when I boot F11.
I tried it twice, once with DHCP and once specifying the IP. I've used both ways before.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:47 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
But the question is, do you have a working network connection with the F12 installation cd?
Old 21st December 2009, 05:23 PM
KenJackson Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
But the question is, do you have a working network connection with the F12 installation cd?
Well I know the physical connection works, the router works, and the software on F11 works, but I have no control over what software is installed on the F12 netinst iso. It comes as-is.

What can I do differently to either find out or make it work?

Are you suggesting the F12 netinst iso might not work?
Old 21st December 2009, 05:32 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
No, that would be blasphemy.

What I would ask myself is if the network installation can establish an internet connection and if there is any way to verify that it can connect to the internet. I have never used the network installation, so I don't know much about it.
Would it be an option to download the DVD and use that to upgrade?
Old 21st December 2009, 05:46 PM
KenJackson Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Would it be an option to download the DVD and use that to upgrade?
Yes. But every large distro I've used, you always run into the same situation: You download at least one full CD, often more than one or a DVD, burn it or them, install or upgrade the system and reboot. Then the first time you do an on-line update, you are inundated with what seems like half the packages on your system that need to be downloaded again and upgraded again because the CD/DVD you just downloaded was out of date the day it was released.

So a while back I just came to the conclusion it is silly to download anything other than the network installation CD, if the distro has one.

As for my problem, nobody has spoken up with a yeah, me too, so the problem is likely some detail of something I did. I'll try again when I get to it.
Old 21st December 2009, 05:51 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Since you are on F11, why don't you use preupgrade? It is basically doing the same except that it works from your functioning network connection.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:19 AM
KenJackson Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I don't see how preupgrade buys me anything. Either I download before or after.

Besides, I used it to upgrade from F10 to F11 and I had a bad experience.

There were three packages that didn't get upgraded. Of course I didn't notice it, and no problem was evident for the first few updates afterward. But soon a package needed to be upgraded that depended on one of the old packages. Yum didn't know how to handle it, and I didn't notice f10 in the package name instead of f11 (one character). So for some weeks I selectively upgraded packages that could be upgraded while there was a growing list of packages that caused yum to puke voluminous errors.

Eventually I read a post somewhere that pointed out the problem. I uninstalled the offending packages and have lived happily ever after.
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:14 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The reason why I suggest preupgrade is that you wrote your internet connection is working in F11. So preupgrade would most likely be able to do its job on the basis of a working internet connection. But I understand that this is not an option based on your previous experience.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:45 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxmozilla
You are not alone, KenJackson. I tried several RC netinstall.isos and never got one to work. There should be some threads here from the weeks leading up to f12 release, I don't know if anyone got a successful install. I gave up and used a live cd, which is the nearest thing to netinstall.

I agree that it is pointless to download and burn a number of cds, or a large dvd, when all the software that is being installed just has to be updated immediately. Presumably the release engineers have their reasons for not making netinstall more of a priority. It might be as simple as repository bandwidth.
Old 9th January 2010, 03:30 PM
KenJackson Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
I tried it twice, once with DHCP and once specifying the IP. I've used both ways before.
Just in case anyone was wondering how the saga ended, the third time was the charm. I'm now running F12 on both my Fedora PCs.

In retrospect, I think I erred when I typed in my PC's IP mask, filling in the boxes that looked like this:
________________ / ________________
I entered 24 in the second box, since that's a popular way to represent a mask, and there were no instructions to the contrary.

On the second attempt I used DHCP, which I set up my router to do and has always worked in the past. I don't know what's up with that.

The third time, I typed out the mask explicitly, 255.255.255.0. That worked.

Tags
metadata, netinst, repo data