Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2009, 12:44 PM
Mic87xp1 Offline

linuxsafari
How to install Grub on fat32 filesystem

Hello, i have a question.
I have used ubuntu distribution in wich i can install grub on a fat32 Filesystem. Can i install Grub on a fat32 filesystem with Fedora 12?
If the answer is yes, what i have to do?
Old 21st December 2009, 02:14 PM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Microsoft's Fat32? Why? Might have many not filled in blocks.

Try this one:
Code:
man mkfs.vfat
Old 21st December 2009, 02:37 PM
Mic87xp1 Offline

linuxsafari
Because i wouldn't touch the MBR.
Ok, with mkfs.vfat i can create a fat32 partition. I would install grub on this partition. Is it possible?

Last edited by Mic87xp1; 21st December 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 21st December 2009, 03:18 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic87xp1

Because i wouldn't touch the MBR.
Ok, with mkfs.vfat i can create a fat32 partition. I would install grub on this partition. Is it possible?
Hello Mic87xp1,

Yes, it's possible. But, if you don't want to install Fedora's GRUB in the master boot record, then you should install it in the first sector of the Fedora boot partition. Then you can boot Fedora with whatever boot loader is booting your other systems or with a boot disk.
Old 21st December 2009, 05:09 PM
Mic87xp1 Offline

linuxsafari
So, i have to install grub in the first partition and than i can start grub with the bootloader of windows?
Old 21st December 2009, 06:35 PM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Yes, Stoat's last sentence.
Old 21st December 2009, 07:02 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic87xp1

So, i have to install grub in the first partition and than i can start grub with the bootloader of windows?
Yes, it's how I boot Fedora (and Debian and Ubuntu). There's no solid advantage to it really. I just prefer it. If you want to try that, then it matters what version of Windows you're using.

If it's XP or W2K, then my preferred method is to use dd to copy the first sector of the Fedora boot partition to a file, copy that file to the Windows directory, and edit the boot.ini file to add a menu entry in the Windows boot menu to boot it. There are other methods. More here...
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=188378
If your Windows system is Vista or Windows 7, there is a manual way to do it for them, too. But for Vista and W7, the easiest thing to do is download and install the free and popular utility known as EasyBCD. It simplifies configuring BOOTMGR of Vista and W7 to boot Fedora. More here...
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
P.S.: Configuring a Windows boot loader to boot Linux is easy once you know what you are doing. It takes me less than a minute to add a new Linux system to NTLoader. But I should warn you that it is not as simple and easy as letting GRUB be installed in the master boot record and boot everything. That is more nearly automatic and the tweak needed to make it boot Windows is a simple single step. So, if you are determined and insistent on booting Fedora with the Windows boot loader, then you need to be prepared to struggle through a learning period. No way around it. Then it's easy.

Last edited by stoat; 21st December 2009 at 07:08 PM.

Tags
fat32, filesystem, grub, install