Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th December 2009, 11:30 PM
CamoAnimal Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Kmod-nvidia package, improper installation

Hello,

I have just upgraded the hard drive in my laptop with a new one that isn't about to crash (I dropped the laptop a few months back). After installing Fedora 12, the first thing I did was try to install kmod-nvidia and all its dependencies. Upon rebooting Fedora goes to the boot splash, and then when the login screen should display it instead shows a blank black terminal like screen. Do diagnose this I logged in under terminal (tty3) and proceeded to try to start X manually. It displayed an error to the effect of 'could not load Nvidia kernel module Nvidia_module.so3'. I figured it must have been a glitch so I reinstalled kmod and the same thing happened. Tried reinstalling Fedora all together and still the same result. What am I doing wrong?

P.S. I am getting kmod from the RPM Fusion repo

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!
- Registered Linux user #498244

Last edited by CamoAnimal; 27th December 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:58 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfedorafirefox
In most cases, you have to blacklist the nouveau video driver in order for the nvidia driver to load properly by adding rdblacklist=nouveau to your kernel boot line in /boot/grub/grub.conf. Perhaps you didn't perform that step, which is outlined in this guide.. You might also check whether your nvidia video card is supported by the current version of the nvidia driver, and if not, determine which available older version does. The guide I linked to will help you with that also.
Old 28th December 2009, 01:10 AM
CamoAnimal Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Odd. I have never had to do that in the past to get it to work, but I will definitly try it. Thanks for your help and I will give you the results shortly

Thanks
- Registered Linux user #498244
Old 28th December 2009, 01:45 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfedorafirefox
Be sure to look over the install guide I linked you to. There are other steps that you may need to do beside the one I mentioned. For sure you will need to also change a SELinux policy. The command is detailed in the guide.

Tags
improper, installation, kmodnvidia, package