Vetal Offline

linuxsafari
Firefox 3.5 and the "XML Parsing Error: undefined entity" error

I get this error when I try to start up firefox:

Code:
XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 30, Column 7:      <menuitem id="context-copy"
------^
It's a GTK window with black text with yellow background.

I've tried removing the .mozilla folder uninstalling firefox completely and deleting
/usr/lib64/mozilla and /usr/lib/mozilla folders.
Same error.

So I tried running firefox under root, and it displays the same error plus:
Code:
Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
So after long hours of frustration I created a new "test" user and firefox ran fine.

It still doesn't work on my old user account and root.

my system is "Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.30.9-102.fc11.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 4 00:18:53 EST 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
Old 31st December 2009, 08:18 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
One wild guess is to see if every account has the same homepage by comparing their configuration files. I think the file would be something like:
/home/billHickock/.mozilla/firefox/ors0rp7f.default/prefs.js

with the obvious variations in the user name and the random-looking name to be expected.

If that is unrevealing, you could resort to to doing strace on firefox to see what html or xml file it opens just before the error occurs.
Old 31st December 2009, 08:41 PM
Vetal Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks for replying.

Believe it or not firefox works fine now except for some times it displays the yellow background window when I press the back button.

That happens rarely so it is not that bad.

I'll just wait for Fedora 13 release and do a fresh install.

About your suggestion, my user account has google as the hompage and the root account does not have the line which lists the home page.

Tags
error, firefox