Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 5th January 2010, 11:11 AM
Mikko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
iwl3945 wireless driver

I have a

05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

in my laptop and it uses the iwl3945 driver. I use the default NetworkManager installation and WPA encryption. The trouble is that the connection slows down to a crawl every once in a while or hangs completely. There's no error that I can see and some traffic does go through, but the speed is a tiny fraction of what it's supposed to be. It's easy work around the problem by stopping NetworkManager, reloading the driver module, and restarting NM. Wireless always comes up immediately and at full speed and downloads that were hung continue without problems. I have this script that I run as root:

service NetworkManager stop

rmmod iwl3945

modprobe iwl3945

service NetworkManager start

Sometimes it gets annoying though, if the wireless hangs e.g. several times in a couple of hours. Sometimes it never happens in a day of usage. I've had this problem on two laptops (same driver) and in F10, 11 and now 12. I've tried to look at the iwl3945 kernel bugs, but there's a lot of them and I suppose the problem could also be with NetworkManager, so I haven't been able to figure out if it's been reported already. I guess it must have been. A lot of things with the driver and NM have been fixed, but this one seems to stay.

Tags
iwl3945, networkmanager, wireless