Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th January 2010, 10:32 AM
AwesomeMachine Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Arrow Need to Patch Kernel, but The Patch Requires Kernel Config.

Hi,

I'm an experienced user, but I can't figure this one out. I need to patch a kernel using the rpm method, but the changes to the kernel sources require that the kernel be patched, and that the kernel be configured to make the patch work (i.e. some options need to be selected in the kernel config to make the patch work.

Also, there are some user programs that are generated in the kernel sources directory, by the patch. It seems Fedora reverses all changes to the kernel sources when rpm is run to build the kernel.

I had thought about just using

make all
make modules_install
make install

But then none of the Fedora kernel patches will be applied. The compile is exiting with an error. What I need is to generate and apply a patch to the kernel sources, but the kernel config must be done before the patch is generated. That is, I need to apply a patch to then kernel sources, configure the kernel, and then generate another patch that will be applied during the kernel build.

I've made several unsuccessful attempts. Thanks for the help.
Those who exalt human intellect become laughing stock for The Sons of God. If you flip a coin, and it lands on heads 100 times in a row, the odds the 101st toss will be tails are 1 in 2, or 50%. The past is not connected to the future. Nothing is random.
-Awesome
Old 12th January 2010, 02:30 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Just to start at the beginning .... You need the tools & headers and to setup an rpm tree

yum -y groupinstall "Development Tools"
yum -y install rpmdevtools
rpmdev-setuptree

Then you need to get the kernel source and install it,

yumdownloader --destdir /tmp --resolve --source kernel
rpm -Uhv /tmp/kernel-*src.rpm

Then you need to build it just to the point of applying the Fedora patches.

rpmbuild -bp --target=$(arch) ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel.spec
cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel*/linux*

At this point install YOUR patches, modifiy the .config and do the make's needed.
make menuconfig
make all
sudo make modules_install
sudo make install
Old 12th January 2010, 02:51 PM
AwesomeMachine Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Thanks stevea.
Those who exalt human intellect become laughing stock for The Sons of God. If you flip a coin, and it lands on heads 100 times in a row, the odds the 101st toss will be tails are 1 in 2, or 50%. The past is not connected to the future. Nothing is random.
-Awesome
Old 13th January 2010, 04:15 PM
AwesomeMachine Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
I don't think rpmbuild -bp --rel="nofollow" target=$(arch) ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel.spec

is the proper command. There is a problem with --rel="nofollow": unknown option.
-Awesome
Old 13th January 2010, 05:50 PM
zaitcev Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Just run it without extra options, or add those options as needed. All you need is a prepped tree (-bp), the rest is extra.

Tags
config, kernel, patch, requires