Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th January 2010, 02:29 AM
sej7278 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sound is coming via headset AND speakers

Just installed F12 and noticed that the volume control applet is now all Pulseaudio rubbish, not Alsa like gmixer used to be.

So now I don't seem to be able to mute my speakers when I'm using my headset, which in F10 I could do by just muting LFE/Center.

Note I don't want the speakers to be disabled when I have the headphones plugged in (like Jack does) I just want to be able to control volume of the mixer channels individually - as sometimes I'll be playing music through the speakers and will receive a Skype call and want to mute the music, but also don't want the Skype sound coming out of the speakers - just the headphones.

I've tried setting up 4.1+input, 5.1+input, 4.0+input etc; but for some reason, even though the PulseAudio mixer thing has 5 individual sliders, they do nothing as they "jump" back to 100% when you slide them - even with the channels unlocked.

gmixer and alsamixer do the job, but pulseaudio is the applet and only seems to control the master volume, not the individual channels.

Any ideas - or perhaps a way to make gnome-volume-control revert back to actually being gmixer?
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:48 AM
TheHammer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Sound is coming via headset AND speakers

Try installing pavucontrol. That should allow you to control each application separately, although I have issues with it sometimes.
Old 2nd May 2010, 02:32 AM
sej7278 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

nothing regarding pulseaudio seems to work properly - its all nice ideas, but they just don't work in practice - i mean what use is muting one program when you have ten running?

the only way i can get sound to come from my headphones and not my speakers is by running this command:

amixer -c1 -q set Surround 0%

or of course using alsamixer, and then set it back to 100% when i'm done.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:38 AM
naqviabbas Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

With fedora everything is at the surface. Most of us ignorantly neglect this fact.
Here is the solution :

Under gnome

System>preferences>sound

choose the "Output" tab

select the connector you want the audio to be routed to.
Old 15th June 2010, 03:17 PM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

To open gnome-volume-control on the output tab directly one can use this:
Quote:
gnome-volume-control -p output
If you only have one option in that tab and can't change anything you might want to see if your card model is being recognized correctly.

e.g.
Code:
echo 'options snd-hda-intel model=7stack' > /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
This creates a file named "sound.conf" in /etc/modprobe.d wiith a single line "options snd-hda-intel model=7stack"

You can also try the "model=auto" first it works sometimes if not you need to find the model.

To find out the model for your equipment you can try.

Quote:
Getting the driver's codec name:

cat /proc/asound/Intel/codec#0 | grep -i codec
or
cat /proc/asound/*/codec#0 | grep -i codec

• 1 - The path used in cat depends on your sound card, one can look inside /proc/asound to find out the exact path.

‣ Find the model list on http://git.alsa-project.org/ -> alsa-kmirror.git(tree) -> Documentation(tree) -> HD-Audio-Models.txt and check what model your codec is compatible with.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:05 AM
guirgis Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugRocks1 View Post
To open gnome-volume-control on the output tab directly one can use this:

If you only have one option in that tab and can't change anything you might want to see if your card model is being recognized correctly.

e.g.
Code:
echo 'options snd-hda-intel model=7stack' > /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
This creates a file named "sound.conf" in /etc/modprobe.d wiith a single line "options snd-hda-intel model=7stack"

You can also try the "model=auto" first it works sometimes if not you need to find the model.

To find out the model for your equipment you can try.
I have the same problem and i did what you said exactly, but i didn't find a compatible model with my codec:
Conexant ID 5067.
The only way i found to mute the speakers sound while the headset is plugged is to move the slider on the output tab of the sound manger to the maximum left but the problem is that the sound become mono as if the speakers are right and the headset are left which is the not as supposed to be?
So Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tags
coming, headset, sound, speakers