Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2010, 05:28 PM
profdrsung Offline

macossafari
Fedora 12 - Black screen during install

Hello,

I tried to install Fedora 12 on my machine using the live CD and got the following problem:
After selecting boot from the startup menu, my screen goes into standby mode and never wakes up again. After 20 minutes the there are no further activities on the cd-drive or the hard disk. I waitet for another 15 minutes, but nothing happend. The only way was to restart my computer.

I figured it might have to do with my NVIDIA Card, since it is not supported out of the box by fedora 12.

So I tried to add xdriver=vesa to the boot command. It didn't work.
After that I tried the text mode install. (vmlinuz0 initrd=initrd.img rootCD-Name) text). The kernel got loaded but after that the screen goes blank again and switches into standby mode.

And to rule out the obvious: I read the documentation, but since I'm quite new to linux, i couldn't figure out if any of the options might help with my problem.

Here's my hardware:
Intel Core 2 Quadcore Q8300
HD SATA II
Grafics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Mainboard: D2950 (Chipset NVIDIA MCP73PV)

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM CST ----------

Meanwhile I tried installing ubuntu and this seems to work with disabling apic.
I tried editing the boot command and added noapic at the end, but got the same result as before. Any suggestions?

Last edited by profdrsung; 21st January 2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to select E-Mail notification.
Old 24th January 2010, 12:19 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
This is the first that I have heard of an "xdriver" option. On a familiar list of kernel options and parameters (http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...parameters.txt), there is the "vga" parameter that can be set to "ask" or a numerical value. (http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=HowTos.VgaModes)

I have two identical cards (brand named "MSI N210") based on the Nvidia GT 210 that I haven't gotten to work. They produce video until the login screen should appear. Then the display goes blank. No errors are reported in /var/log/gdm/:0.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log. The default driver for nvidia in FC 12 is the "Nouveau" open source driver, while the proprietary Nvidia driver ("NV", I think) is used in earlier Fedoras. The proprietary driver can still be used with FC 12, although I don't know exactly how to pull that off unless you can at least get a text mode of FC 12 installed.
Old 10th February 2010, 07:53 AM
Lord Mortus Offline

windows_7firefox
I am having the same problem with my install

My system is an AMD Opteron dual core on an A8N-SLI Premium board
Nvidia 9500GT 1GB RAM (single card until install works, then SLI)
4G Installed system RAM

I know how to get the NV drivers loaded after an install, but that will have to wait until I can actually get the install to get going
Old 10th February 2010, 07:37 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox
Try the 'nomodeset' kernel parameter.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 11th February 2010, 09:59 AM
Lord Mortus Offline

windows_7firefox
Downloaded another copy of the DVD and was able to install in basic graphics mode.. but now of course having the "Can't get out of 640x480 mode" problem, which is covered in other posts. I'm thinking about waiting until F13, or looking for another rpm based linux.
Old 11th February 2010, 07:56 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
well, if you install in basic graphics mode, it's not unusual you'd have issues with the graphics in the installed system, because it's still using the 'basic graphics' mode (i.e. the vesa driver). We assume that if you have problems with the native driver during install it's not likely to work after install either, so if you install in 'basic graphics' mode, the installed system is configured the same way.

Why not just install the proprietary driver and see how that goes?
Old 11th February 2010, 08:51 PM
Lord Mortus Offline

windows_7firefox
Fedora won't install unless I choose basic driver from the menu. And I already installed the rpm fusion nvidia drivers since the nouveau drivers won't work. And after that, the system-config-display gives me an error :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 378, in <module>
dialog = xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state, xconfig, videocard.VideoCardInfo())
File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.py", line 640, in __init__
if len(self.xconfig.layout[0].adjacencies) > 1:
IndexError: index out-of-bounds

I'll attach my dmesg and xorg.conf, maybe that will help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (36.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (421 Bytes, 112 views)
Old 11th February 2010, 09:07 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Don't use system-config-display, it's deprecated and doesn't handle the NVIDIA driver right anyway. You shouldn't need to use it for anything. The NVIDIA driver should work once it's installed. If it gives you a bad resolution that's a bug in the NVIDIA driver, have a look around threads on that driver or nvnews.net for suggestions. Did you try nvidia-settings ?
Old 11th February 2010, 09:10 PM
Lord Mortus Offline

windows_7firefox
Haven't tried nvidia-settings

I did try the nvidia control panel, was interesting, I could change the pan area and then change the resolution, but all that did was give me a 640x480 view that I could pan around the full resolution hehe..

I will check nvnews for sure, thank you.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:16 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
you could attach xorg.0.log, it may give an indication why NVIDIA only wants to make 640x480 available (best guess, it can't read the properties of your monitor for some reason - is it connected via a KVM?)
Old 11th February 2010, 10:39 PM
Lord Mortus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Not connected with kvm, straight system.. I'll get the log later.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:58 AM
joek71 Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Question

Hi guys I am new here, and when i put in the cd it loads all is good then it gives me the distorted screen, I am ruuning AMD Oteron 175 with Nvidia 7800GT I am attaching the picture to show the distortion, it doesnt even give me a choice to install or anything just hangs there with that screen.

Any Help would be awesome.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04982.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	19048  
Old 12th March 2010, 08:02 AM
f2010 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Fedora 12 - Black screen during install

I have the same problem to install Fedora 12 in my HP ze4417ea laptop: a blank screen appeared and the PC seems stopped there after I started to install it from liveCD.

Now I have successfully installed Ubuntu 8.04 to my laptop, and everything got well during installation. Just as a normal installation, and nothing need to change.
Old 12th March 2010, 03:59 PM
Shila Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

I tried to install Fedora 12 on my machine using the Fedora-12-i386-DVD and get the following error:

/sbin/load_policy:error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsepol.so.1: cannot read the file data:input/output error
exec of anaconda failed
install exited abnormally [1/1]

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12th March 2010, 08:59 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

shila: that would suggest a badly-burned image, or a dodgy drive; some kind of corruption of the data, anyway. Try re-burning the disc, and do the media check during install.

Tags
black screen, install