Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th February 2010, 08:33 PM
MSich Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Upgrading to FC12 may have been a mistake

I'm still a relative newbie. I only began using Linux with the release of FC8. I've upgraded into every new version (upgrade, no clean installs), after the new versions had been out a while.

I struggle with command lines, updates, cups and other very cool tools that are only difficult because they have so many options. I'm Windows guy at work, a system admin and db administrator, plus the company expert on Excel. But, all in all, I hate Windows, and I'm loving Fedora, even if I struggle.

This last upgrade really kicked me in the pants. The first thing I noticed was all of my software sources were gone. I did some research around the forum and tried a few things, but it's still not working. Unfortunately, I may have uninstalled Yum in the process, but not rpm. I've tried to re-install the yum packages, but still no luck.

This morning before leaving for work I noticed that a boot log indicated that cups had failed. I went in to restart the service (through gui) and it said it was running. So I stopped the service and re-started. I tried to access port 631 through Firefox and it wouldn't open. I need to check the firewall to see if it's an open port, but beyond that I don't know.

Now I'm wondering if I should just do a clean install. I haven't done this, mainly because I didn't want to hassle with setting up my printer again (although, it's a Brother and they have the drivers and good instructions), and I didn't want to lose any emails that I've received via Thunderbird. The printer is really a non-issue now, as I'll have to set it up anyway. I have a backup of the /usr folder and all the documents.

Question is, if I restore the Thunderbird folder after a clean install, would it bring back my email?

Anyway, thanks to everyone on these boards, as I've received much assistance from here in the past. I probably would have given up many times over without your help.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:48 PM
mbratch Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I would do the clean install. I did several on FC12 due to working out some other issues and it didn't take that long once I had the routine down.

Go to your login home directory, and there will be a hidden directory called .thunderbird. Under there will be some scrambled looking directory name, like .thunderbird/x28aq2ns.default.. You want to save everything that's under there. When you reinstall everything, you'll have a differently named directory under .thunderbird. Copy what's under your old one to there and all your emails and address books will be preserved.

If you're a Linux newbie and aren't doing much in the way of development or something, you might want to consider (dare I say it) Ubuntu. But regardless, try not to over-customize out of the gate. Let Fedora put in what it thinks you need at first based upon high level requirements. Then taylor bit by bit from there.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to accept the rewriting of it.
Old 9th February 2010, 08:01 PM
MSich Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Thanks mbratch. I did a clean install last night. I still have some odds and ends. I need to install my printer, but cups is working. And the software sources are back, so that's good.

Thanks for the tip on Thunderbird. I knew those files had to be somewhere. That helped a lot.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:59 PM
mbratch Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Glad you're up and running again. Fedora should just "see" your printer when you go in to the printer admin tool and you can just activate it.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to accept the rewriting of it.

Tags
fc12, mistake, upgrading