Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 11th February 2010, 04:02 PM
stodge Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
[Fedora 12] Restored files from USB key - source files are all binary!

Before installing Fedora on my laptop I backed up my files onto a USB key. I wiped the hard disk and installed Fedora 12. I copied my files back to my home directory - but all the text files are now binary! Any ideas why this would be or how to fix it?? Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM CST ----------

Hmm it seems that only some files are binary. Looks like some .tgz files are corrupted too.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM CST ----------

Damn - I wonder if the files weren't completely written to the usb key before I removed it. I don't remember their being a safe mount option in Fedora 10 - but I definitely unmounted it before removing it from the laptop.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:56 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge

Damn - I wonder if the files weren't completely written to the usb key before I removed it. I don't remember their being a safe mount option in Fedora 10 - but I definitely unmounted it before removing it from the laptop.
Maybe. There is often a delay for completion of the transfer when a pendrive is unmounted. In some Linuxes that I use, there is no indication that is going on, and I know to wait for a pop-up indicating that it is safe to remove the pendrive. Windows XP is like that, too. Sometimes the delay is many seconds long. But in Fedora 12 there is a pop-up warning about the writing being in progress. I don't think you would have missed seeing that. Perhaps the pendrive has had its good days already. My understanding is that they don't last forever.

Tags
binary, fedora, files, key, restored, source, usb