<---- template headericclude ----->
Remove Triple boot?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove Triple boot?

I am currently have a boot choice of Win 7, Fedora 11, and Ubuntu 9. They were installed in that order. Everyone told me how great ubuntu was and I wanted to try it. I do not like it, I prefer Fedora. I would like to remove Ubuntu, but still want to keep Fedora and Windows. Any help would be appreciated. I'm still a linux novice, so please be specific. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the steps:

1) Boot into Fedora
    2) Install GParted if it's not already installed
    3) Run GParted, and write down (on paper, or in gedit, kwrite, or wherever) what partitions exist and where on the drive that you are interested in.

If you don't have any volume labels, it might be a bit harder to discern which is which, but mounting and rummaging around those partitions should give you the answer. (To help you start, look at the partition formats: NTFS = Windows, ext2/3/4 = Linux, swap is obvious.) Be very careful to note any purely-data partitions; you don't want to destroy your /home partition if you have one, for example!

4) Copy any data from the Ubuntu partition you want to save back to your Fedora partition (in Nautilus, Dolphin, the command-line, or however else you like.)

5) In Fedora, reinstall the boot-loader by going to the command-line (aka terminal), and typing:
    su -c '/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda'
    Give it your root password when it asks for it.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Replace /dev/sda with whatever drive your OS partitions are on if needs be.

6) Unmount the Ubuntu partition, and then use GParted to delete the Ubuntu partition. You may now expand the Fedora partition to take up the space that Ubuntu used to, assuming that the Fedora partition is immediately preceding the Ubuntu one.

That should be it! There are a couple of caveats though:

Since you installed Ubuntu after Fedora, it shouldn't be an issue, but if you had to delete a partition that wasn't the last one, you'll have to update GRUB with your new partition numbers. To do you, you need to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf root. The specifics of doing so are beyond the scope of this tutorial, but if you need to do so, feel free to ask how.

This is all assuming that you have a normal partition layout; if you installed Fedora into a LVM, as it might if you let it do the partitioning for you when you installed it, it might be a bit more complicated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    I have nothing in Ubuntu that I want to keep and it was the last OS installed. I will give it a shot this week end, and post the results. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it works out well! BTW, one thing I forgot: If you're going to expand the Fedora partition, you're going to need to do so from a live CD (or theoretically, a different OS ideally on another drive). A Fedora live CD would work wonderfully for this; you should be able to install GParted while on the live CD with no problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My computer is still booting into the ubuntu boot loader. I did not delete the partition yet, but I figured it should boot into the original fedora boot loader. here are my partitions:

/dev/sda1 Windows Storage partition (d:\)
    /dev/sda2 Windows Main partition (c:\)
    /dev/sda3 Extended partition
    /dev/sda6 ext4 Ubuntu partition
    /dev/sda7 linux-swap
    /dev/sda5 ext3 Fedora partition

I used this command since I want to use the fedora boot loader:
    su -c '/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda5'

The only reason I have not removed the ubuntu partition is to ensure it will continue to boot.
    Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosbytr
    /dev/sda1 Windows Storage partition (d:\)
    /dev/sda2 Windows Main partition (c:\)
    /dev/sda3 Extended partition
    /dev/sda6 ext4 Ubuntu partition
    /dev/sda7 linux-swap
    /dev/sda5 ext3 Fedora partition

I used this command since I want to use the fedora boot loader:
    su -c '/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda5'
    Close, but not quite. That installed the bootloader onto the Fedora *partition*, not to the drive itself. You need to leave off the 5 at the end in order for it to install to the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the drive.

su -c '/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    worked great! I haven't removed the partition yet, but that is the easy part. Thanks a bunch.