Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th February 2010, 02:42 AM
donk64 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Dual audio output ports, only one seen.

I'm fairly new to using Linux as a desktop OS, so I am a bit stumped about this issue.

I have a Dell XPS m1730, running Fedora 12 x86_64.

The audio chipset is reported as:

Intel Corporation 82801H
Bus, device, function: 0, 27, 0
IRQ 21
Bus Master: Yes
Memory: 16kb (non-prefetchable)
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

In addition to the built in system speakers, the physical audio ports are all analog:
Audio Out A, Audio Out B, Audio In

So, I have two analog audio outputs and one audio input. In Windows XP and 7 with the native Intel drivers, both ports work for audio output. For example, I can keep my external speakers in port A, and plug headphones into port B. Under Fedora, I can't seem to find any way to even have the system recognize that there are two outputs. Testing has shown that even plugging only one device into the second output port produces no audio output.

I've searched high and low but can't seem to find any further information how how to reconfigure this driver or have it probe the output ports.

Ideally, I'd like to use port A for my regular speakers, and port B as a hard line to my TV (which runs from the laptop via a DVI to HDMI converter) so I could keep my system sounds coming through the PC speakers, and have videos playing on the second display, with the appropriate audio being sent through port B to the TV.

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

Edit: Hardware Profile

Last edited by donk64; 16th February 2010 at 02:51 AM.

Tags
audio, dual, output, ports