Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd February 2010, 05:05 AM
cjohnson Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Trouble with waking from suspend mode?

Is anyone else having trouble with waking up from suspend mode? After bringing the computer (Dell Studio 1555) back from suspend mode, GNOME moves very slowly. Cursor is unresponsive for significant amounts of time - any open windows do not respond to selection... Effects don't usually go away until a reboot is performed. This evening, one such restart resulted in a crash, where the shutdown process locked at the attempt to shut down the mouse/pointer module...

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
Old 22nd February 2010, 05:16 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Are you suspending to ram or to disk? I think this is a case where a larger swap partition may have a say in how it performs. I found that suspending to ram is a wee bit problematic on my machine whereas suspending to disk had better results.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:56 PM
cjohnson Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
How can I determine whether I'm suspending to disk or to RAM? I'm coming from Windows, so is the Hibernate function the same on Fedora? I.E. session is written to disk on Hibernate, but stored in RAM for Sleep(Suspend)?
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:19 PM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
It depends on how you have it set up. For KDE Desktop, you go into system, system settings, advanced, power management. You can play around with the settings there. You have a choice of suspending to RAM or Disc. I'm not sure what the best choice is for your machine.

For me, recovery for RAM is doesn't really work very well and recovery from Disc is kind of slow compared to Windows 7.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.

Tags
dell studio 1555, gnome, suspend