Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:28 PM
wanling Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
File Manager

I am new to fedora and have recently installed Fedore 12 on my IBM Laptop.
While updating the system I started having problems with the file manager, it starts and keeps on opening windows.

I would like to know what can be done in order to stop that from happening.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by wanling; 22nd February 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:43 AM
CiaW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I had that happen when I opened Xiphos after I upgraded to the rawhide (Fedora 13) repo. The folks on the Xiphos / gnomesword mailing list suggested it's likely due to Firefox 3.6 and it's use of xulrunner 1.9.2 rather than 1.9.1.

I don't know what xulrunner is or does, but since it's similar behavior it might be related. Is Fedora 12 at Firefox 3.6 ? Does that happen when you're opening a certain application or just when you log on to the desktop or when?
Old 2nd March 2010, 06:00 AM
nightliz Offline

windows_vistaie
I have the same problem! It happens when I log on. The File Manager opens tons of windows and the cursor is constantly spinning like the computer is loading something.

I just installed F12 x86 64 Gnome. The problem did not start until after I installed an update (one of 500+ so I am not sure which.)
I am running Firefox 3.5.8, though it tells me to upgrade.

Last edited by nightliz; 2nd March 2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 5th April 2010, 06:30 AM
dohnan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: File Manager

same problem here. it just started after updating. like you i have no idea which update caused it. i have been searching the forums. i tried all the suggestion. NOTHING work. Time to re-install everything. it is no wonder no one wants to switch from windows. Linux is way too unstable. Yes linux folks, i said unstable. Fedora 12 was brilliant till i updated.
Old 5th April 2010, 06:39 AM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohnan View Post
same problem here. it just started after updating. like you i have no idea which update caused it.
Just a thought: perhaps the X server is generating bogus X events such as mouse clicks inside the file manager window. This has happened before, but I'm not sure it's what is happening here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohnan View Post
i have been searching the forums. i tried all the suggestion. NOTHING work. Time to re-install everything. it is no wonder no one wants to switch from windows. Linux is way too unstable. Yes linux folks, i said unstable. Fedora 12 was brilliant till i updated.
Fedora doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the idea of `stability'. That's why we stick with it.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:39 AM
tonypmartin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: File Manager- nautilus segfault - keeps opening at login

Ok, so it is happening to me too.

After logging in, nautilus keeps being opened. Obviously a bit difficult to know how to investigate this one.

I tried creating a new user from a login shell. Logging in to the new user also results in a continuous nautilus opening.

I have temporarily renamed nautilus in /usr/bin so that I can at least log in.

I wondered if that would cause a helpful error message, but it doesn't.

Log entries after logging in with nautilus disabled are:

Apr 5 09:36:11 tonynb kernel: metacity[4618]: segfault at 616d2078 ip 008889e1 sp bfed1270 error 6 in libSM.so.6.0.0[887000+7000]
Apr 5 09:36:13 tonynb gnome-session[4660]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'gnome-nautilus.desktop': Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "nautilus" (No such file or directory)
Apr 5 09:36:14 tonynb rtkit-daemon[1462]: Sucessfully made thread 4798 of process 4798 (/usr/bin/pulseaudio) owned by '500' high priority at nice level -11.
Apr 5 09:36:14 tonynb pulseaudio[4798]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
Apr 5 09:36:17 tonynb restorecond: Unable to watch (/home/tony/public_html/*) No such file or directory

now I am not sure what restorecond is doing but I am suspicious because listing the processes running when lots of file manager windows are opening, I see lots of watch processes - or that may a false assumption.

Grateful for any ideas about this or suggestions how to investigate further.

Tonypm

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM CDT ----------

Should have looked further back in the log. Checking it again when nautilus keeps opening I am getting this entry repeated.

Apr 5 10:05:44 tonynb kernel: nautilus[2509]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp bfcee79c error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[101000+134000]

So is this a problem with nautilus, and would reverting to an earlier version help?

Tonypm

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM CDT ----------

Fixed:

yum remove nautilus
yum install nautilus

All now ok

Last edited by tonypmartin; 5th April 2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: enhanced title
Old 9th May 2010, 02:52 PM
rscholes Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The same thing happened to me after I installed some updates.

I downgraded them one-by-one and found the culprit!

At update had installed gnome-desktop-2.28.2-5.fc12.i686

From a terminal window (as root) I ran:
yum downgrade gnome-desktop

and it replaced it with this version:
gnome-desktop-2.28.1-2.fc12.i686

The File Manager window problem went away after that.
Old 10th May 2010, 02:27 AM
dohnan Offline

macossafari

All fixed. I used yum update from the command terminal. Brilliant. Smooth sailing now. Trying to get all my friends on this now. Only one problem to solve....soundcard driver.

Tags
file, manager