Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th February 2010, 12:05 AM
fedora12newbie Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Nvidia 3D support

I've run into problems adding 3D support on my Nvidia GeForce4 4800 card on Fedora 12. I had v10 and 3D support worked fine but since I've done a fresh install I've had repeat problems.

I have used rpmfushion to get the drivers and the necessary packages (that worked in 10 perfectly fine). I have installed through add/remove packages and also by using

yum install kmod-nvidia

After I reboot fedora loads but between that and the logon screen I get a black screen with a prompt. I can cntrl-alt-delete to reboot as well as type but terminal cmds don't seem to work. I'm new to linux so I'm not familiar with what I can do at this point. Is there anything I can do to get my computer to work with 3D acceleration on Fedora 12 without buying a new card (and yes I know the card is ancient).
Old 28th February 2010, 12:40 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxsafari
There are a number of steps to get the nvidia drivers working in F12. See the nividia thread in my signature for the full procedure.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:49 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
i'd wait for F13 since it has open source Nouveau Gallium3D support you shouldnt need blob drivers no more
Old 28th February 2010, 03:54 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxsafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
i'd wait for F13 since it has open source Nouveau Gallium3D support you shouldnt need blob drivers no more
That will be great just hope they sort out the performance before then. At the moment it is much slower than the nvidia driver. They'll get there but it may take a couple of versions.
Old 28th February 2010, 04:18 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjd View Post
That will be great just hope they sort out the performance before then. At the moment it is much slower than the nvidia driver. They'll get there but it may take a couple of versions.
it is slower but it works an is much better than the prop blob you have to install

Tags
3d accelerated graphics, black screen, nvidia driver