Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th March 2010, 04:04 PM
sabirafrin Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Networking issue

I have installed fedora 12 recently. after installation i tried to connect to the internet using BSNL broadband connection. I filled in the details such as IP, Netmask, Gateway and even DNS servers. In the services also I ensured that the network manager services is on. However even though my computer cannot connect to the internet. I then tried the ping test of the modem from the address 192.168.1.1 and found that the ping test is successful. Then i tried the network administrator and there I noticed something unusual.
There are two options in the devices eth0 and eth1 thats ok but the unusual; thing is that the Activate (green button), Deactivate (red button) and even the delete buttons are in the background and I cannot select them. Isthis the problem for the network connectivity.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM CST ----------

I then tried the ping test of the modem from the address 192.168.1.1 and found that the ping test is successful. Then i tried the network administrator and there I noticed something unusual.
There are two options in the devices eth0 and eth1 thats ok but the unusual; thing is that the Activate (green button), Deactivate (red button) and even the delete buttons are in the background and I cannot select them. Isthis the problem for the network connectivity.
Old 6th March 2010, 04:20 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Networking issue

Hello sabirafrin,

I don't really know with certainty what you should do. Sorry. But if those are wired NIC devices, then you can try editing it (them) in the Network Configuration utility (aka and started with system-config-network) to uncheck "Controlled by NetworkManager" and check "Activate device when computer starts". Reboot and see if you can connect. That will also have the usually irrelevant side-effect of enabling the currently disabled "Activate" and "Deactivate" buttons. However, if one or both of them is a wireless device, you may find that NetworkManager is a better way to manage that one (them). You may need a wireless driver (not unheard of).
Old 6th March 2010, 04:37 PM
sabirafrin Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Dear stoat
I have a type II broadband modem wired Huawei make Quidway WA1003A. its wired as well as wireless however i shall always use wired
Old 6th March 2010, 05:13 PM
Nokia Offline

linuxfirefox

rpm -q NetworkManager

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager

Tags
broadband