Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th April 2010, 03:20 PM
Brutuz Offline

windows_7firefox
Motherboard RAID0?

Hi, I want to run Fedora 12 x86_64 on my 2x500GB RAID0 setup, how would I do this via the BIOS method (I want to dual boot Win7 off the same RAID array) with an AMD SB750 southbridge? I'd prefer not to go software, but if I have to I can and just use the 1TB for 7. (I'd prefer not to as the 1TB is a hotswap drive, mostly from PC to External case)

I'm still pretty new to Linux, so I need full step by step instructions.. (Note: I don't actually have the 1TB Hard Drive or BluRay drive yet, they're still on order)

I searched, but all the results were for Intel's ICH10R or SB600, computer specs are in sig, if there's anything else just say.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb...........| Samsung Spinpoint F1 2x500GB RAID0
Corsair VX550 550w....................| Samsung BluRay reader
Old 13th April 2010, 05:11 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

macossafari
Re: Motherboard RAID0?

Set the RAID array up according the instructions included with your mother board/ array card. After that, pop in Fedora installation disc and follow the prompts, your onboard RAID controller will take care of the rest.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 13th April 2010, 05:28 PM
forkbomb Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
Set the RAID array up according the instructions included with your mother board/ array card. After that, pop in Fedora installation disc and follow the prompts, your onboard RAID controller will take care of the rest.
Not necessarily. As I've pointed out a number of times, these onboard "RAID" cards are often FakeRAID, and require some OS level cognizance of the RAID volume.

As has come up before, there are a number of posts in this forum of people trying their darndest to figure out why Anaconda sees multiple disks even though their "RAID" card should be "taking care of the rest."

Quote:
I want to dual boot Win7 off the same RAID array
Unless you've got a true hardware RAID controller onboard, good luck.
Old 13th April 2010, 06:21 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkbomb View Post
Not necessarily. As I've pointed out a number of times, these onboard "RAID" cards are often FakeRAID, and require some OS level cognizance of the RAID volume.

As has come up before, there are a number of posts in this forum of people trying their darndest to figure out why Anaconda sees multiple disks even though their "RAID" card should be "taking care of the rest."
I've never had any issues, not with any OS or motheboard, not once. Currently having this desktop with MSI RAID and two servers using different GigaByte RAIDs and one box using ages old MSI RAID controller. Earlier board on this desktop was Asus and didn't have any problems with its on board RAID controller either.

So my bet is, you are more likely to have no problems with them than to have problems with them, therefore it's better baseline to go ahead with using RAID than not because you _may_ have problems with it.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Last edited by pete_1967; 13th April 2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 13th April 2010, 06:25 PM
forkbomb Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
I've never had any issues, not with any OS, not once.
Never run into board shipping FakeRAID? Odd, because desktop-caliber motherboards are almost always shipped with FakeRAID.

Next time you're at the convenience center you should buy some lotto tickets.

edit:
Futhermore I wouldn't trust dual-booting off of a RAID volume if I wasn't darn sure it was hardware RAID.

Beyond that, though, if you have an onboard RAID chip, if your motherboard fries and you didn't buy an extra board as a standby (and who buys a backup mobo?), you may have a recovery issue on your hands.
Old 13th April 2010, 06:47 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Futhermore I wouldn't trust dual-booting off of a RAID volume if I wasn't darn sure it was hardware RAID.

Beyond that, though, if you have an onboard RAID chip, if your motherboard fries and you didn't buy an extra board as a standby (and who buys a backup mobo?), you may have a recovery issue on your hands.
Unless you're running RAID 1 in which case you just connect disks on new MoBo, configure (or don't) RAID 1 on it and decide which one will be the boot disk.

Wouldn't expect it to succeed with other array types on different board though.

Old 13th April 2010, 09:21 PM
Brutuz Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:

Unless you've got a true hardware RAID controller onboard, good luck.
I've done it before with two different versions of Windows, the BIOS level RAID appears as a RAID array to all OSes and I just need to have drivers for each OS, that's probably the best place to start.. Are there Linux 64bit drivers for the AMD SB750 Southbridge RAID? I can't work it out through trial and error until I get my 1TB drive otherwise I just would.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb...........| Samsung Spinpoint F1 2x500GB RAID0
Corsair VX550 550w....................| Samsung BluRay reader

Tags
motherboard, raid0