Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th April 2010, 10:43 AM
manoz Offline

windows_7firefox
Angry fedora linux 12 install failures on windows7 64-bit laptop

Members

i'm tired with unsucessful attempts. please help me.

my laptop
windows 7 64-bit intel core i5,4GB ddr3 RAM 500GB HDD.

hard Drive partion -- c-drive:150GB D-Drive:150 GB remaing 160 GB not allocated

but when i install fedora 12 . it says create boot/efi partion, root partion i dont get it

help me plz.
Old 30th April 2010, 03:46 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: fedora linux 12 install failures on windows7 64-bit laptop

You need separate partitions for Fedora to be able to install it. It is not sufficient to have unallocated space. Fedora's default installation would, at least, need 2 partitions, one for /boot and the second for an lvm managed partition.
Old 7th May 2010, 01:13 PM
manoz Offline

windows_7firefox

thanx, but how to do paritions for fedora from unallocated space

160 GB unallocated space

(windows 7 64-bit installed)
Old 7th May 2010, 04:04 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoz

hard Drive partion -- c-drive:150GB D-Drive:150 GB remaing 160 GB not allocated

but when i install fedora 12 . it says create boot/efi partion, root partion i dont get it
Hello manoz,

To me at least, it's not clear what you "dont get". What's wrong? Exactly. Or, describe more precisely what is happening up to the moment it fails to proceed.

Quote:

thanx, but how to do paritions for fedora from unallocated space
Actually, the Fedora installer (aka Anaconda) is capable of creating partitions for Fedora completely by default and without any input from you at all. However, if you do not want the default partition layout, then you must choose "Create custom layout" from the drop down list of partitioning options in Anaconda. If you do that, then the very next page is the so-called "disk druid". It's a kind of partition manager where you can create custom partitions for Fedora.

If you are having trouble creating new partitions for fedora, then are you sure that your partition table can accomodate more partitions? You mentioned two existing partitions. But there could be hidden partitions that you forgot about or never knew about. A legacy hard drive can have only four partitions in the partition table of the master boot record. This issue happens all the time. Take a moment to look at the Disk Management utility in Windows 7. You can even post a screenshot of it here. I, for one, am always interested in seeing anything that helps to illustrate and explain a situation.
Old 10th May 2010, 07:13 AM
manoz Offline

windows_7firefox

giving clear details for your valuable help

Click image for larger version

Name:	disk partions_windows7-64bit-core i5 CPU.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	19492

Click image for larger version

Name:	disk partions_windows7-64bit-core i5 CPU-screen2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	19493

please see above attached images of disk partitions .

p;z tell me what can i do to install fedora. i want to use fedora full edition .my usage will be using web server PHP, DBMS
Old 14th May 2010, 06:03 AM
manoz Offline

windows_7firefox

at last i succeeded installing .first time ever a dual os in my laptop.

how to connect internet , i'm using modem-ethernet wifi and cable capability tell me how to configure plz. i'm using dell laptop dw 5120 wlan mini card

braodcom netlink ethernet
Old 14th May 2010, 03:04 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:

how to connect internet , i'm using modem-ethernet wifi and cable capability tell me how to configure plz. i'm using dell laptop dw 5120 wlan mini card
I recommend that you start a new thread in the networking forum for that issue. The title of this thread is not relevant to that subject. If you agree with that and start a new thread, I also recommend that you explain more about the hardware. For example, make it clear in that new thread whether that modem is a broadband cable modem or a DSL modem or a dial-up modem. Make it clear whether or not a router is connected somehow (usually between the modem and the NIC).

Finally, for the wireless part of that, Dell computers are well-known to use Broadcom wireless cards that are usually easy to set up in Fedora. For the wireless issue, always start by identifying the wireless chipset with the terminal command lspci. If that reveals that the wireless Network Controller is using a Broadcom chipset, then try reading the Broadcom wireless HOWTO. It might help you set up the wireless up by yourself. But if you have questions or problems with what you read in the HOWTO, don't ask questions in the HOWTO. Instead, return to or start your new thread for help. Clearly describe what you tried and what you are observing up to the moment it fails to work.

P.S.: Wired NIC connections almost always "just work" in Fedora. If you mean that you cannot browse the Internet with your wired NIC connected, then that may be be a Firefox configuration issue and not a network connection issue. Try pinging a URL and then an IP address in the terminal. If you can ping a URL, then search the forum for the network.dns.disableIPv6 issue in Firefox. If you can ping only IP addresses, then it may be a DNS resolution issue that might be fixed with nameserver IP addresses. Search the forum for "DNS resolution" and "DNS nameserver".

P.P.S.: Sometimes Google is a better way to search fedoraforum.org. For example, try these in the Google textbox...
"dns resolution" site:fedoraforum.org
"dns nameserver" site:fedoraforum.org
I also like to refine the Google searches like that to a more recent time frame.

Last edited by stoat; 14th May 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 14th May 2010, 03:25 PM
manoz Offline

windows_7firefox

hi
thx . Its valuable information .

Tags
64bit, failures, fedora, install, laptop, linux, windows7