Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27th May 2010, 12:27 PM
anshuljain Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11
linuxfedorafirefox
Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Hi all,
Tried out the latest Fedora 13 release for kicks, and seem to be liking it so far I'm an openSUSE user and created some RPMs (on openSUSE) for myself which have the Ubuntu font rendering patches in them. I played around with the Fedora RPMs and managed to patch freetype-freeworld, cairo, fontconfig and Xft to achieve subpixel hinting on par with Ubuntu

I wanted to share them with the Fedora community, if interested. Is there any place like an openSUSE Build Service for Fedora where I can host them...or maybe some community site that can host them? A screenshot of my desktop:-



I'm using Calibri font with slight hinting, 96 dpi and Xft filter set to hintslight.

-Anshul
  #2  
Old 27th May 2010, 01:00 PM
marvin_ita Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Como - Italy
Posts: 259
windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Hello,
read the guidelines at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

Note that if your package has a license not compatible with fedora guidelines you can use another package submission system like rpmfusion.

Mattia
  #3  
Old 27th May 2010, 01:03 PM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Try setting up a dropbox repo.

https://www.dropbox.com/home
  #4  
Old 27th May 2010, 03:24 PM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 358
linuxopera
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuljain View Post
Hi all,
Tried out the latest Fedora 13 release for kicks, and seem to be liking it so far I'm an openSUSE user and created some RPMs (on openSUSE) for myself which have the Ubuntu font rendering patches in them. I played around with the Fedora RPMs and managed to patch freetype-freeworld, cairo, fontconfig and Xft to achieve subpixel hinting on par with Ubuntu
Great but there is a very good reason why Fedora doesn't do that.
The technology is patented. Distributing software which does that in countries which recognise software patents requires a license from the patent holder.
Patent licensing costs money.

Redistribute it at your own risk.

Thanks,
Zanpactou
  #5  
Old 27th May 2010, 06:14 PM
KStorm Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 26
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Keep us posted; the screenshot looks great.
__________________
F 13 and Linux Mint 9
  #6  
Old 28th May 2010, 04:24 AM
anshuljain Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11
linuxsusesafari
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanpactou View Post
Great but there is a very good reason why Fedora doesn't do that.
The technology is patented. Distributing software which does that in countries which recognise software patents requires a license from the patent holder.
Patent licensing costs money.

Redistribute it at your own risk.

Thanks,
Zanpactou
Thanks, I'm aware of the history behind these patches. Software patents are not applicable in my country- India. Users are advised to check for their countries before installing these RPMS.

I'll probably setup a dropbox repo and host it there sometime soon. I have built only 32-bit RPMs and not 64-bit as I do not have access to a 64-bit system. However, I'll put the SRPMs and interested users can rebuild it themselves.

Edit: The theme in the screenshot is the Shiki Brave theme with an SVN version of the murrine engine+ubuntu lucid patch. I wont be able to put the SRPMS today, only the 32-bit RPMS.

Last edited by anshuljain; 28th May 2010 at 04:33 AM.
  #7  
Old 28th May 2010, 07:01 AM
brebs Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 558
linuxfirefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuljain View Post
advised to check for their countries
IMO, users couldn't care less about the potential patent issues (which Ubuntu of course find acceptable) - they want decent-looking fonts, dammit

Obligatory links: huge Gentoo fonts thread and my old Fedora 9 thread.
  #8  
Old 28th May 2010, 08:13 AM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here now, elsewhere tomorrow.
Posts: 4,298
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebs View Post
IMO, users couldn't care less about the potential patent issues (which Ubuntu of course find acceptable) - they want decent-looking fonts, dammit
Tell that to the patent holder company's lawyers, I'm sure they understand and drop all demands, threats and charges against you, the distributor of their patented technology.
__________________
A Drink is Not Just For Christmas - SaskyCom :thumb:


“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
  #9  
Old 28th May 2010, 09:53 AM
brebs Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 558
linuxfirefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

OMG, it's MS knocking on my front door! I know it's MS because they're wearing black jeather jackets and jackboots. Quick, delete all my patented files!

Yeah, right

Notice that MS hasn't sued Ubuntu. It doesn't look like Ubuntu has ever been sued for anything. I think patent holders are roughly 2.5 zillion times more likely to go after Ubuntu, rather than me and my custom-patched builds. I suppose I could say "sorry" and offer them half a Smartie as full and final payment for any infringement, if they insisted.


Users are not distributors. I was talking about *users*.

Edit: And just to add more fuel to the patent-paranoia fire, there's this interesting fedora-devel-list post.
Edit2: Maybe MS haven't sued, because they would expect to lose ("prior art" or whatever-it's-called, in the Apple II).

Last edited by brebs; 28th May 2010 at 10:41 AM.
  #10  
Old 28th May 2010, 10:08 AM
Oponium Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 22
Posts: 9
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebs View Post
OMG, it's MS knocking on my front door! I know it's MS because they're wearing black jeather jackets and jackboots. Quick, delete all my patented files!

Yeah, right

Notice that MS hasn't sued Ubuntu. It doesn't look like Ubuntu has ever been sued for anything. I think patent holders are roughly 2.5 zillion times more likely to go after Ubuntu, rather than me and my custom-patched builds. I suppose I could say "sorry" and offer them half a Smartie as full and final payment for any infringement, if they insisted.

Users are not distributors. I was talking about *users*.
he has a point.
  #11  
Old 29th May 2010, 12:33 PM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 358
linuxopera
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oponium View Post
he has a point.
Yeah, that both of you don't realise that Canonical license (Pay for) The technology from the patent holders, then ship it to you for free.
Doing so is detrimental to software innovation and free software.
It is also not economically sustainable.
RedHat would never put the Fedora community in such a position. It would be against Fedora's policy.
  #12  
Old 29th May 2010, 01:15 PM
brebs Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 558
linuxfirefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanpactou View Post
Canonical license (Pay for) The technology from the patent holders
In the context of this thread (i.e. font rendering)... got any evidence for that? I can't find any, and this article seems to contradict you. Heck, even an old diff for cairo from gnewsense contains the cleartype patches, with no mention of Microsoft's patent.
  #13  
Old 30th May 2010, 07:23 PM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 358
linuxopera
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebs View Post
In the context of this thread (i.e. font rendering)... got any evidence for that? I can't find any, and this article seems to contradict you. Heck, even an old diff for cairo from gnewsense contains the cleartype patches, with no mention of Microsoft's patent.
They do it for h.264 and if they are not doing it for the true type patent holders, they should be doing so if they want to ship freetype2 with the bytecode interpreter on.
http://www.freetype.org/patents.html
It's Apple who are the main patent holders. Not Microsoft.
  #14  
Old 30th May 2010, 07:45 PM
brebs Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 558
linuxfirefox
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Let me repeat my question, since it is unanswered:

In the context of this thread (i.e. font rendering)... got any evidence for that?

H.264 is not relevant to font-rendering, so stay on-topic. Kindly note the word evidence above.

"Evidence" does NOT mean "my personal thoughts, backed up by nothing whatsoever." This is the Internet, we have google, and a zillion URLs to potentially link to - I'm expecting you (or someone else) to find a meaningful URL to back up your point.

For bonus points, you could explain why gnewsense also includes these patches
  #15  
Old 30th May 2010, 08:11 PM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 358
linuxopera
Re: Subpixel font rendering for FC13 (Ubuntu Patches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebs View Post
Let me repeat my question, since it is unanswered:

In the context of this thread (i.e. font rendering)... got any evidence for that?

H.264 is not relevant to font-rendering, so stay on-topic. Kindly note the word evidence above.

"Evidence" does NOT mean "my personal thoughts, backed up by nothing whatsoever." This is the Internet, we have google, and a zillion URLs to potentially link to - I'm expecting you (or someone else) to find a meaningful URL to back up your point.

For bonus points, you could explain why gnewsense also includes these patches
No body owes you anything mate. Please go and troll somewhere else.
If you don't even understand who holds the patent for the true type byte code interpreter, even after I have provided a link containing that information, providing you with any further information is utterly pointless. You have no use for it.
I am also willing to bet that you aren't involved in the Fedora project in any meaningful way either. You shouldn't be.
h.264 is a patented software technology and so is the true type byte code interpreter for comparison. If you fail to understand what a software patent is, there is no need for you to be involved any further in this thread talking about patents.

Thanks for taking the time to send this thread so wildly off topic just to try to further your pointless hate filled agenda. No one wants to talk to you. Bye bye.

Last edited by Zanpactou; 30th May 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
fc13, font, patches, rendering, subpixel, ubuntu

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ubuntu Hardy's LCD sub-pixel font rendering in Fedora 9 brebs Guides & Solutions (No Questions) 160 19th March 2010 07:46 PM
FC13 font problem? grothendieck Fedora 13 Development Branch 1 28th December 2009 04:48 PM
Font rendering Mikko Using Fedora 5 2nd April 2009 09:51 PM
Fedora's utterly pathetic font rendering has sent be running back to Ubuntu. somethingood Fedora Focus 48 2nd September 2008 07:02 PM
Font rendering c_lev Using Fedora 2 1st September 2006 04:27 PM


Current GMT-time: 11:26 (Saturday, 23-08-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat