Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2010, 02:03 AM
ssureshot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Gnome Package kit authorization

I'm having issues with the gnome-packagekit not working as a user. It runs fine as root but I don't want to have to login each time to run it.

The gnome-packagekit used to ask for root password but has stopped doing so. Anyone remember or have a fix for this?

The cancel button does not work either, I need to close with the X for the window...

It now gives this error..
Authorization Failed
You have failed to provide correct authentication
Please check any passwords of account settings.

Thanks
Old 4th June 2010, 04:28 AM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Gnome Package kit authorization

You could try looking at:

/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy

Since packagekit makes use of policykit you can fine tune its permissions using that file.

How to do that is a mystery to me.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM CDT ----------

Now roughly you need to go to the "action" tag and look for the "default" settings.

e.g.:
Code:
<defaults>
<allow_any>no</allow_any>
<allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
</defaults>
</action>
Ref:
http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/Poli...lkit-conf.html

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM CDT ----------

-1. Idea:
Baclup the old policy and find the policykit file in the DVD or CD and install it manually to try and reset it, maybe it got corrupted or something.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM CDT ----------

In my system.
Quote:
$ yum provides /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy
Yum tells me that the there are 2 files(the third is the same as the second but is listed as installed) I could test it:

Quote:
PackageKit-0.6.3-1.fc13.x86_64 : Package management service
Repo : fedora
Matched from:
Filename : /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy

PackageKit-0.6.4-1.fc13.x86_64 : Package management service
Repo : updates
Matched from:
Filename : /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy

PackageKit-0.6.4-1.fc13.x86_64 : Package management service
Repo : installed
Matched from:
Other : Provides-match: /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy
So I could locate the rpm on the DVD or CD or download it using yumdoawnloader.

e.g.:

yumdownloader --destdir=/home/[user]/Desktop PackageKit-0.6.4-1.fc13.x86_64 PackageKit-0.6.3-1.fc13.x86_64
Old 4th June 2010, 01:53 PM
ssureshot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Ah good look! thank you..

I Was able to change an area to let me remove apps with no auth check, I need to do some research now and find options that I need to make function properly. I would like to get this working the way it is intended so it prompts me.

After a little research it looks to be setup properly to begin with.. It was set no, no, auth_admin_keep.. The auth_admin_keep should be prompting me correct?

Remove Software
<defaults>
<allow_any>yes</allow_any>
<allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>
</defaults>
</action>

---------- Post added at 04:53 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM CDT ----------

After researching I figure I just need to change it to look like this.. I will give this a shot after work today...

Remove Software
<defaults>
<allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
<allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
</defaults>
</action>
Old 13th June 2010, 03:22 AM
DaleDonofrio Offline

linuxfirefox

I was having the same issue here, running fedora 13. I did go through the policy kit edits, to no avail. while poking around kde's control center ( I normally run gnome ), Lo and Behold, PolicyKit Authentication Agent was not started. I did some looking around at gnome's start up group, and there it was. be sure you have "PolicyKit Authentication Agent" started, the command for the thing is " /usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 " if this is not running, it will not ask for a password. started the program and add remove software ran as normal, it asked for administrator password, then installed selected package. remove worked normally too. As always, your mileage may vary. worked like a charm here.
Old 13th June 2010, 04:23 AM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Good one, I love to see people participating is exciting to collect knowledge. Well at least for me.
Old 4th July 2010, 06:18 AM
neelakandan Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi all,

I am still facing the same problem. I have changed the values as follows

<icon_name>package-x-generic</icon_name>
<defaults>
</defaults>

But when I try to run the command I am getting the following error.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2420): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Unable to determine the session we are in: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GetSessionForUn ixProcess() on /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager at name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to lookup session information for process '2420' org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError Unable%20to%20lookup%20session%20information%20for %20process%20%272420%27

Kindly, help me in resolving this.
Old 4th July 2010, 03:05 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Yes, this is a decision by packagekit's maintainer. He feels that Fedora doesn't need authorization to upgrade. (He also put it into RH 6 beta, where it was quickly changed).

He feels that if you need authorization to upgrade signed, already installed packages, you should use another distribution.

Note that originally, all signed packages could be both installed for the first time and upgraded without a password---after the developer stated that he didn't really care how Unix has worked for 40 years, it made the front page of slashdot and was then changed.

As for me, I simply remove packagekit and if I really need a graphical installer, use yumex.

I realize this doesn't answer your specific issue, but the background might be useful.
Old 6th July 2010, 01:33 PM
ssureshot Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I found that the gnome-polkit daemon was not running.. When I tried to start it I received a similar error.. I believe this happened after the kde desktop was installed. There must be some conflicting packages...

IF you drill down in the file you reference there will be certain areas that pertain to installing packages.. I was able to manipulate where it didn't ask for a password and just installed as any user.. But I was never able to get the gnome-polkit running.. I didn't put much effort into it after that because I had some other issues and instead of spending hours I just reloaded.. I hvae not reinstalled kde desktop and all is working as it should..

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelakandan View Post
Hi all,

I am still facing the same problem. I have changed the values as follows

<icon_name>package-x-generic</icon_name>
<defaults>
</defaults>

But when I try to run the command I am getting the following error.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2420): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Unable to determine the session we are in: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GetSessionForUn ixProcess() on /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager at name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to lookup session information for process '2420' org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError Unable%20to%20lookup%20session%20information%20for %20process%20%272420%27

Kindly, help me in resolving this.
Old 1st November 2011, 02:24 PM
packetsight Offline

linuxfirefox

Same in FC15.

I believe the root cause has to do with polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 being unable to start *when a desktop environment other than the default at install* is in use.

I started out with Gnome3, but am now using Gnome Classic with Compiz. Perhaps most relevantly, if I switch back to Gnome3 packagekit prompts for authentication and installs packages as expected.

Authentication Agent is selected in the "Startup Programs" tab of the gnome-session-properties panel, but is not running.

When I attempt to start it manually via:

$ sudo /usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1, I get the message:

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:23011): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Unable to determine the session we are in:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Gen eralError: Unable to lookup session information for process '23011'

When I attempt to start it manually via:

$ su
# /usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1, I get the message:

g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Terminated

This issue is being tracked in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=638344
Old 8th December 2011, 01:18 AM
shaydes Offline

linuxfirefox

I am running FVWM with gnome2-panel (http://code.google.com/p/gnome-classic/) on FC15. Starting /usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 as logged in user, not sudo or su, seems to work.
Old 6th July 2012, 01:53 AM
phoeniix Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
fedora 16 software update authorization failed
Got it working. I'm running F16 with KDE. The default packagekit settings disable the authentication box, seemingly for good reasons, but annoying to me. I like having choices to go with CL or GUI. To get it to work I edited /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy and changed the following sections:

org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install
org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install-untrusted
org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-remove
org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update
org.freedesktop.packagekit.upgrade-system

to:

<defaults>
<allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
<allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
</defaults>

and: