Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2010, 01:12 PM
alexxx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
lag moving windows around

I am new to the latest Fedora releases: I was stuck with F8 until today I jumped aboard F13.

It's a bit early to say something but I'm really impressed... yet I'm suffering from a desktop problem which spoils my experience:
I have a lag each time I move a window with the mouse (bluetooth Logitech), and also when I scroll inside with the mouse.
I dont know if it is a graphics adapter problem (I have a ATI ES1000) or a Bluetooth problem, or something else.
Do you know if it is a known issue?

thank you!!!

alessandro
Old 9th June 2010, 09:32 AM
alexxx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: lag moving windows around

an update - I really would be grateful for some help!!!

Just noticed that sometimes the server crashes too, bringing me back to the login screen.

The driver is the radeon one

I created a xorg.conf file, and tried applying various options suggested here&there, as:

Option "EXAPixmaps" "FALSE"

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

but nothing works...

what can I do?

thank you for any help...

alessandro
Old 9th June 2010, 10:49 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox

Hello Alexxx. Have you installed the proper ATI drivers for your video card? I'd suggest looking into that but I also wonder if your computer is a newer model or something that is getting along in years. Seems on my (several) desktop boxes all running Fedora that the older ones, especially with regard to the CPU, have some "lag" as you call it when moving windows around the desktop, even a simple terminal. The screen refresh rate seems to be slow so I actually see trails from where the window was to where it is now. Of course these "trails" disappear quickly but it's not something that is generally acceptable. All of the boxes here have NVidia graphics and installing the correct driver for those cards does nothing to improve the refresh rate or relieve the "trails". I don't blame the graphics drivers though, just an older, slower CPU on an OS that may require something a bit snappier.

I'm not familiar with the ATI ES1000 graphics card so I have no idea if it is a recent card or something that has been around for some time now. There's a thread here in the forum that has been going on for quite a while now. This may be the one, about installing ATI drivers. Maybe some helpful information there for you. Good luck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 9th June 2010, 12:16 PM
alexxx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

thank you a lot for helping me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Hello Alexxx. Have you installed the proper ATI drivers for your video card? I'd suggest looking into that
no: Fedora F13 by default recognized it and set it to "Radeon"

Quote:
but I also wonder if your computer is a newer model or something that is getting along in years. .
it is a bit old (HP Proliant ML350) but not soooo much: a couple of years.
Anyway, what irritates me is that there was absolutely no problem under Fedora F8.
Also, it is not so much a graphical trail while moving things around, but the much more annoying freezing of the pointer&window for a couple of seconds.

I'll check the post you suggested...
alessandro

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM CDT ----------

oh damn - I see from the post you mentioned that F13 is not supported.

Also, my ATI ES1000 seems to be unsupported too!!!

alessandro
Old 9th June 2010, 01:55 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox

Well there you go. Based on what you've said I would guess that "13" is maybe a bit too "heavy" for the old girl, at least while running Gnome. However, since I'm somewhat of a Fedora fan might I suggest a different, lighter desktop manager? Something like Fedora LXDE or XFCE ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 9th June 2010, 02:46 PM
alexxx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Well there you go. Based on what you've said I would guess that "13" is maybe a bit too "heavy" for the old girl, at least while running Gnome. However, since I'm somewhat of a Fedora fan might I suggest a different, lighter desktop manager? Something like Fedora LXDE or XFCE ?
the old girl is running (tries to) KDE!
I think I'll just go directly to buy a decent card - can you suggest me one, provided that I can install it (since my ATI is directly on the mainboard)?

thank you!

alessandro
Old 9th June 2010, 05:22 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox

But what about the CPU? The boxes that I have here, save for 1 laptop and 1 desktop with a quad core are all somewhat "slow" with Fedora 12 on them. They are old 2.8 Athlons. Great in their day but doggish now. Two of them even have 256MB or 512MB NVidia cards. Do you think that a better video card will really give you the performance boost you're looking for? It may, if the "motor" (CPU) can push the box along, but all the hardware in the world isn't going to help if the old motor is starting to "puff a little smoke". I guess the best thing to do, if you really want to upgrade the box, would be to double the system memory or bring it to at least 1GB and get a 512MB NVidia card that is supported by the currently available drivers. Make sure the mainboard will accept the card and support more memory too. Make sure you're using a swap partition on the hard disk and turn off all unnecessary services. Clean the case of all dust, including any in the power supply.

I realize that I've sort of contradicted myself here, but I also realize that many people, myself included, can't always afford to just run out and buy a bunch of parts to upgrade the computer whenever we feel like it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10th June 2010, 03:29 AM
Don-B Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I have a similar concern, but my box is brand new, with an amd x3 (3100 I think); it has plenty of horsepower. I have another similar box with Fedora 10...no lags at all. If I ssh into the Fedora 12 box everything just takes a few seconds longer than the other one, it really bugs me. How do I diagnose it?
Old 14th June 2010, 07:34 AM
alexxx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

... well, that's it!

I just checked, and discovered that I have just PCI-express slots of the 4x kind.
Never before I suspected that PCI-X is subdivided in at least 3 categories.
And it seems that NO VIDEO CARD EXISTS FOR 4xPCI-X

... so I'm screwed.

oh well, thank you for your help.

alessandro
Old 23rd June 2010, 06:04 PM
Don-B Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I discovered a different problem on my end. I have a new WD 1 tb drive with Advanced Formatting (512 byte vs. 4000 byte physical sectors). It wasn't properly set up, so it ran really slow; some guys are reporting 3:1 or more slowdowns. Full support isn't available until Fedora-13, so I'm replacing this drive with one that has the original partitioning and formatting. I'll use this one later in another box.
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:43 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

glennzo: I don't get any 'trails' running F13 on a machine with a terrible CPU (1.2GHz Atom), terrible graphics card (Poulsbo), and terrible hard disk (slow 4200RPM). I don't think you can ascribe such behaviour to inadequate system power, it sounds like simply a driver bug to me, though it's hard to be really sure without seeing it in action.

GNOME does have configurations you can set for very slow hardware. Run gconf-editor, go to apps/metacity/general, and check the 'reduced_resources' box.

If it really is just slow hardware, you may actually find it's more responsive if you use compiz. This can easily be the case with a graphics card capable of running compiz reasonably well.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:28 PM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

Try the following.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=246261

You might also search http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki for your ATI model or a similar one for tips on xorg.conf settings.

Tags
lag, moving, windows